What Is The Best Type Of Filter For 125 Gallon Tank

cannon84

Reaction score
Hello All,
We are getting back into the game of keeping a fish aquarium and would like input or advice on recommendations on the best type of filtering systems. We’ve used bio wheel filters in the past on smaller tank setups with great success. Any and all input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

IMHO, you would be wise to go with a cannister filter, or for that size of tank - two cannisters. This will give you the flexibility to vary your filter medium to suit your stock. Having two filters has advantages, like spreading the suctions and outputs for a more even distribution and giving you a 'backup' in case one filter goes down.

For example, I have a 125 gal Malawi Cichlid tank (heavily stocked) with one Fluval FX5 cannister and one Fluval 405 cannister. However I would recommend you choose two of the same type (so you only have to buy one type of filter supplies / spares).

I am of the opinion you can never have too much filtration!

Hope this helps.

Cannisters, sump or pond filtration would probably be best. I take it due to the tank size your planning on keeping big fish? If thats the case overfiltration is definately the order of the day.

IMHO, you would be wise to go with a cannister filter, or for that size of tank - two cannisters. This will give you the flexibility to vary your filter medium to suit your stock. Having two filters has advantages, like spreading the suctions and outputs for a more even distribution and giving you a 'backup' in case one filter goes down.

For example, I have a 125 gal Malawi Cichlid tank (heavily stocked) with one Fluval FX5 cannister and one Fluval 405 cannister. However I would recommend you choose two of the same type (so you only have to buy one type of filter supplies / spares).

I am of the opinion you can never have too much filtration!

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice, it was helpful.

Cannisters, sump or pond filtration would probably be best. I take it due to the tank size your planning on keeping big fish? If thats the case overfiltration is definately the order of the day.
Thanks for the advice, it was helpful.

Most reactions

Back