What Is My Cherry Shrimp Doing?

SchottayB

Mr. Terrorcore!
Reaction score
As this is my first time keeping red cherry shrimp, it's going great... came across no problems at all! :hyper:

Normaly they are always roaming arround the floor, plants etc... but just as I look in my tank shrimp are flying round everywhere!

I have noticed one shrimp has like a "saddle" behind her head... they keep flying round, finding that shrimp and trying to land on her/him!

Is this the shrimp trying to "make love" ... :lol:

Water stats are fine.

Cheers!

Hopfuly babys on the way :good:

Thats the female releasing pheromones, yes the males are whizzing around trying to find and mate with her.

Haha, that's cool. Sadly I bought 5 and they were all females, then a year later I bought 4 more and they were still all females! So, I've never seen that behavior yet.

Haha, that's cool. Sadly I bought 5 and they were all females, then a year later I bought 4 more and they were still all females! So, I've never seen that behavior yet.

OMG IF I didn't know any better I'd have said I wrote that!

I bought 5, all females, bought another 5, 4 females and one male...then my male died :(.

I put 9 in my planted tank,and occasionally see 1 or 2 :( are they escape artists?experts at hiding?
Nothing in the tank is big enough to have eaten them,and I haven't found any corpses in the tank or filter

I put 9 in my planted tank,and occasionally see 1 or 2 :( are they escape artists?experts at hiding?
Nothing in the tank is big enough to have eaten them,and I haven't found any corpses in the tank or filter

If there are fish around they'll be experts at hiding.
1 seems to be brave now,will the others follow?Or am I gonna be limited to odd flashes of red now and then? :S

You will hardly see them in a tank with fish, unless you had an army of them!

I've got 10 in my tank with fish and hardly ever see them. Where as my planted shrimp tank they are constantly out on display :lol:

I've got 10 in my tank with fish and hardly ever see them. Where as my planted shrimp tank they are constantly out on display :lol:

Cool,an army it is then! :good: lol

I had 10 shrimp in with 3 small guppies and the shrimp used to swim up and chase the guppies - I generally always saw most of them out and about at all times (except cleaning time suprisingly)

EDIT: Before the shrimp were in with the guppies I had them in with my newts (they like blood worms) - I have food bowls for the newts; the shrimp would be in the bowl with a newt eating the blood worms. If a shrimp jumped, the newt jumped twice as high (one of my newts wasn't very impressed with the shrimp in the tank).

I had 10 shrimp in with 3 small guppies and the shrimp used to swim up and chase the guppies - I generally always saw most of them out and about at all times (except cleaning time suprisingly)

EDIT: Before the shrimp were in with the guppies I had them in with my newts (they like blood worms) - I have food bowls for the newts; the shrimp would be in the bowl with a newt eating the blood worms. If a shrimp jumped, the newt jumped twice as high (one of my newts wasn't very impressed with the shrimp in the tank).

I think I found the hiding spot,a little hollow on the backside of my bogwood,not gonna disturb it until I can make a more viewable hidey hole for them.I've seen 3 at the same time,so I'm hoping they all get more outgoing without me changing things too much.

I think I found the hiding spot,a little hollow on the backside of my bogwood,not gonna disturb it until I can make a more viewable hidey hole for them.I've seen 3 at the same time,so I'm hoping they all get more outgoing without me changing things too much.

The more you add, the more you will see :good:

Most reactions

Back