What Is An Acceptable Level Of Ammonia?

Well I read this....

"It should be remembered that the aim of this management is to reduce the ammonia to an acceptable level – not zero levels, as a continuous supply of ammonia is needed to encourage the growth of nitrifying bacteria!"

Surely there is always going to be Sh1t in the tank? :sick:

:blink:

Becks

the bottom line is comercially available testing kits are not sensative enough to find traces below .5ppm
so would give a reading of zero

fish create ammonia through respitory and diegestory methods
(approx 80% gills 20% waste matter), so there will always be trace amounts in aquaria
we just can't find it with the equipment available to us.

yup well put wolfy

as far as our tests kits go it should be 0

While one should always aim for 0, there is a balance between ammonia (harmful to fish) and ammonium (not so bad). At a lower pH the balance tips further towards ammonium rather than ammonia. This relationship is also affected by temperature.

A table by Bignose gives a more detailed example here:

Of course having a constant presence of ammonia in the tank (as tropicalgirl2007 mentiones in her quote) is not the same as having a constant supply of ammonia that is dealt with by the bacteria aas it is produced.

--edited as noted below

I just know you meant 'At a lower pH the balance tips further towards ammonium rather than ammonia'

That table should've been an instant pin. More people should be made aware of the ammonia / ammonium balance, instead of basing there assement on the levels of toxins in the tank on the combined NH3/4 test results.

Andy

the best level of ammonia is 0, 0-0.25 is safe for fish, however anything above 0.25 is considered toxic and may kill off your fish.

Hmmm,

actually a level of toxic ammonia > 0.02ppm is considered lethal.

Like I said, a pin on this subject to avoid such confusion is required....

Andy

Most reactions

Back