What Has Happened To Fish Prices In The Uk?

kelvinrankin767

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
When i went to my LFS i was looking for 3 or 4 clown loaches they cost 14 quid each i couldent belive it they were only about 3" in size i remember when you could buy clown loaches for no more than 5 quid also neon tetras were £1.50 each and they were very very tiny. So if you have recently been in a LFS how much does it cost for clown loaches? And have you noticed a huge price increse over the years for tropical fish why is this?

14 quid each, thats ALOT! dont think ive seen clown loaches that price before, certainly not in my LFS

in my LFS they are for about 3" £5 each of 3 for 12, and neons are £1 each 6 for £5...£14...that seems alot...maybe their supplier has hiked up the prices?...maybe they're wild?

They are 4 for £26 around here. But prices have gone up recently and we have the joy of increased VAT in January to look forward to :/

I manage a fish area in a garden center we sell
clown loaches for £5.94 each (about 4"),
neon teras, glowlights and black neons are 99p each or 10 for £8,
common plecs (6" average) £1.99
normal goldfish £1.60
golden gourami's £2.49
rosy tetras £1.49
bronze corys £2.49

Our markup is generally slightly double what we buy them in for to make up for feeding them and losses etc

our supplier did send me a letter though explaining recent rises and its something to do with transport and new legislation or something i cant remember exactly but its the breeders who are putting prices up abroad that is doing it

Mike, those prices are almost identical round here. You didn't sell me 2 Crypts today did you? :lol:

My Pygmy Corys were £5 each. I was surprised coz they're so small but then figured it was coz they're not THAT common.

All the more reason to buy via "VickiandKev" if plausible when they have acess to prices like http://www.wholesale-tropical-fish.co.uk/price_list.htm (which need VAT adding to them, plus some appreciation money for this couple, who offer this great service for us on the forum)
good.gif

Mike, those prices are almost identical round here. You didn't sell me 2 Crypts today did you? :lol:

My Pygmy Corys were £5 each. I was surprised coz they're so small but then figured it was coz they're not THAT common.
Pygmys can be expensive but that seems really expensive to me. There 3 for £6 at my lfs

no i didnt lol!

the only fish i have accidently ordered which where more expensive than i thought where congo tetra which retail at £5.99 each! we have 5 and doubt theyll ever go lol! and also panda corys which are about £3.99 each which adds up seen as you need 6 or 7 for a good group!

no i didnt lol!

the only fish i have accidently ordered which where more expensive than i thought where congo tetra which retail at £5.99 each! we have 5 and doubt theyll ever go lol! and also panda corys which are about £3.99 each which adds up seen as you need 6 or 7 for a good group!
The pandas sound quite expensive my lfs sell them for £1.80.

no i didnt lol!

The pandas sound quite expensive my lfs sell them for £1.80.

Yeah we buy the pandas in for about £1.80! our supplier is letting us down at the moment though, the last 3 batches have given us white spot and fin rot so ive emailed some other suppliers asking for price lists. It's easy to slate LFS for unhealthy fish but in my opinion its the wholesalers who get them into that state and the fish shops tend to to their best to look after them but for example we had an order of 15 goldfish yesterday and by the end of today we had 8 left. lost one roughly every hour :( water quality is spot on aswel

Clowns are about £6 for a 3 inch in my LFS, 6+ inch are like £20+ depending on the shop.

James.

Most reactions

Back