What Goes Well With Tiger Barbs?

AMcGregor

Reaction score
We are new to the tropical fish scene, the tank is 150 litre in size and currently have 5 tiger barbs (3 green and 2 tiger) 2 rosy barbs and 2 koi angel fish. Currently all is well in the tank but I have read conflicting info that the angel fish may not be the best companions for the nippy tiger barbs?? If this is the case then unfortunately this is down to some poor advise from the shop

We would also like more fish, but would like advise on, how many fish the tank we have will support, would more be recommended etc and also what fish to mix with the barbs so the get along. I would like a shark of some kind if possible but obviously depends on compatibility.

tiger barbds can be nippy if not kept in numbers. when kept in groups the tend to geep to them selves. my 27 cube has 4 tiger barbs and 3 green tiger barbs. they dont bother my vield angel at all. (my 2 marbled angels didnt like him though) i also used to have a red tailed black shark and a rainbow shark in with them at one time. didnt have any problems. like i said as long as oyu have a school of them they are peacful.

Barbs can be quite nippy, so I'd up the numbers of barbs so they can argue amongst themselves & hopefully leave the angels alone.
Btw is your tank a 150 long or high as Angels need tall tanks as they can grow quite large.
I wouldn't add a shark as again they can grow large & can be aggressive

Hi, thanks for the advise.

The tank Is long, like i said we unfortunately had a bit of bad advise from the store. The tank dimensions are 100L x 45H x 40W (cm).

How many fish will this hold in total so we don't overstock it?

How large do the red tailed blacks grow too, would this be suitable for a 150 litre tank or would I need to upgrade in a year or so? I would really like one of these.

You'd need to upgrade as Sharks can get to 6/7 inches, & the angels will need more space too

In my experience, 18 inches is just about ok for angels, your at around 16 so it will be ok in theory for a while yet, but its really advisable to keep barbs with angels for the nippiness but surely you would have noticed any probs so if its fine then fair enough. Red tailed sharks are big and boisterous eventually and are not a great mix with much

>>> Barbs can be quite nippy

Never fails to amaze me when reading the board that "barbs are nippers". Whilst it is true that SOME barbs CAN be nippers when kept in SOME ways, branding a huge largely peaceful group of fish is just so wrong.

I completely agree with what you have said LL, thats why I mentioned if the OP had seen any problems. I actually keep barbs and have never noticed nippiness, but I have heard my fair share of stories about barbs which you cannot just leave out when discussing them

i have 5 striped barbs and the actually get bullied by my tetras

I have them either way. Ive had barbs that were nippers (low number school) and peaceful ones (large group species only). Can they be nippers? Yes Can they tear other fish up? Yes. Will they? Depends on the indivdual fish.

No one is doubting that they are beautiful and peaceful, but as stated above, there are enough horror stories to justify making a statement bout their possible temperament. Its not labeling, its stating possibility

Characins, (tetras), are far better equipped to nip or bite causing damage than barbs which do not have jawed teeth, yet one rarely sees mention of the /possibility/ of a Neon savaging it's tank mates. Barbs, on the other hand, are frequently dished the "nipper" label.

Characins, (tetras), are far better equipped to nip or bite causing damage than barbs which do not have jawed teeth, yet one rarely sees mention of the /possibility/ of a Neon savaging it's tank mates. Barbs, on the other hand, are frequently dished the "nipper" label.
I will be the first to say that my tetras (lampeyes and buenos aires) are nippy little turds. Tis why my angelfish live with my glowlights not lol

Yes they are better equipped but tiger barbs have slightly more agression, my barbs regularly bicker between themselves and are very strong an powerful for a small fish, on another level to neons in your example, i have never seen any neons I own fight amongst themselves

Most reactions

Back