What Food?

vanderdraay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought id just ask what foods people give their severums as i want a to give mine the best quality and also a variety of foods im currently feeding bloodworm,tetraprima,quality flakes and floating hikari pellets but do they need a decent amount of vegetables in their diet and if so what

any help and ideas would be appreciated

thanks

paul

I onlye feed and recommend New Life Spectrum exclusively, it doesn't need variety. I use the Thera+A formula because it has enough extra garlic to kill some parasites.

They are mainly protein sources though, something already provided by a high quality pellet.

+1 for NLS. This provides all the nutritional variety they need.

However, I am convinced that fish also appreciate a variety in the taste and texture of their food too. All my cichlids get fed a staple of NLS pellets but with additional treats, for their own interest. For sevs these could be earthworms, bloodworm, prawns, peas, cucumber, krill, mussels, spinach, spirulina flakes, etc.

Stomach analysis of severums in the wild has shown an actual majority of plant material. So, even though they are omnivores and do enjoy meaty foods (although NOT mammal or bird meat) we should also be making sure that they get enough fibre and veg matter, either in fresh fruit and veg or in "veg-enhanced" dried foods.

+2 for NLS, it's the only pellet food i use for all my cichlids :)

Most reactions

Back