What Fish?

Munch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am planning on making a 240 UK Gallon tank and i am stuck on what fish to get :unsure:
I would like a community tank with a variaty of different sized fish to include 2 angels as i have wanted these beautiful fish since i was younger.
There is also a problem with the design by what my dad says... he doesnt think our floor boards in a 100 year old converted mansion will take the weight of my ideal fish tank... what do u guys think? the water weight will be about 910KG
Wont i be able to put a big piece of ply on the floor under the carpet to distribute the weight of the tank?

Cheers
Chris

you may need to add additional beams underneathe the floorboards.
If I were you i'd get a structual engineer to survey you floor and tell you what is needed.

The-Wolf said:
you may need to add additional beams underneathe the floorboards.
If I were you i'd get a structual to survey you floor and tell you what is needed.
How do i go about getting the engineer? and how much is that gunna cost?

Do you think i will be safe with 510KG? Just over 1/2 a Metric ton?

Cheers
Chris

sorry to crash ur post...but my idea is sorta the same on a tinywiney scale lol!!! i have 20 G on a cabinet it came with, i was thinkin about putting a 40 G on top of the same cabinet..my dad said though the florr might need strenthning but i dont see this as a lot of weight??? but will the table take it? or it there sumthing u can put on it to take the weight?

i hope this makes sense!

Munch said:
How do i go about getting the engineer? and how much is that gunna cost?

Do you think i will be safe with 510KG? Just over 1/2 a Metric ton?
Try yellow pages of www.yell.com
As for the cost they are proberbly expensive
but chaper than repairing a dammaged water logged
floor and replacing an tank and fish etc.

As a plumber I have seen some old structures and most times the older ones have thicker wood. E.g. a 2x4 is really a 2x4 and not 1.5 x 3.5.
But then again I have also seen rotten wood in old structures.

I think by using a 4 x 8 sheet of ¾ inch plywood under the carpet would really be a good idea, and if you are at all able, pull the sub floor up yourself and do a visual inspection of the sub floor joists and reinforce them if needed.

An engineer would be a suburb idea but I doubt that it would be a realistic approach as far as economical feasibility goes.

Good Luck, :D

Stevie

Most reactions

Back