What Fish?

Zip

Reaction score
I have a 35 Gallon freshwater Aquarium set up, with several guppies in it, recently I've decided to make this tank a Community tank and need some ideas of what fish i can keep together.
My parents have had numerous community tanks, and are encouraging me to get into the hobby, but i wanted a second opinion of some of the fish I can keep together with guppys, so far my parents have said that Swordtails, Mollies, and Platys can all be together in a community tank with guppys, but is there anything else?

Welcome to the forum Zip.
I would go along with your parents but why not also explore less often seen fish like Limias. They resemble mollies in many ways but come in color patterns that not molly has ever seen. I am especially fond of my Limia melanogasters with their distinct black triangle pattern on their bellies. Other nice fish are black chins, like these ones gathered around a brine shrimp hatchery.
black_chin800.jpg

You could even go with golden teddies, Xenophallus umbratilis. I have a male as my avatar right now. This is a full sized picture of him followed by a picture of one of the females in the same tank.
MaleCourt_640.jpg

Female3_640.jpg

Welcome to the forum Zip.
I would go along with your parents but why not also explore less often seen fish like Limias. They resemble mollies in many ways but come in color patterns that not molly has ever seen. I am especially fond of my Limia melanogasters with their distinct black triangle pattern on their bellies. Other nice fish are black chins, like these ones gathered around a brine shrimp hatchery.
black_chin800.jpg

You could even go with golden teddies, Xenophallus umbratilis. I have a male as my avatar right now. This is a full sized picture of him followed by a picture of one of the females in the same tank.
MaleCourt_640.jpg

Female3_640.jpg

Wow, I've never heard of any of those, let alone seen them in any pet stores around here, do you know of any chain pet stores that might sell some of these fish? are they common?

Thanks so much for your help :D

Chains will seldom carry any of the rarer livebearers. Your best bet for sourcing them is a local club auction or an internet fish dealer. Although they are not really rare, they have not enjoyed the popularity of things like platies, so the pet shops seldom carry them. As a livebea5rer enthusiast, I find that many clubs have a decent contingent of other livebearer enthusiasts so they are often available locally from other hobbyists there. I sell some of mine every time my club has an auction or I would become overrun by them. They take the same basic care as a guppy so it should be easy for you to raise them too.

I am also setting up a community tank at the moment but i have had other tanks over the years, I think you should get some corydoras which are great community fish very peaceful best keep 4 or more to get the most out of them, if you are going to buy any more livebearers make sure you have a ratio of 1 male to 2-3 females to stop bullying of certian females, I also just recently got some glowlight tetras (should be kept in group of 6 or more) they are nice and a good community fish and most importantly wont nip the fins of your guppies like some other teras, There are a huge variety of nice community fish just try to stay away from barbs, catfish and sharks if you want a nice peacful community tank.

Thanks,
Will all these species thrive in a 35 gallon though? or are there some I should stay away from simply because of the size of my tank?

Most reactions

Back