What Fish To Get For My Established Tank

I now have supplemented my stock, and so now have 10 x neon,5 x Pristella Tetras, 5 x Harlequins & 6 x Corydoras. I would like to add a couple more 'showy' fish, Black Mollies?

Posting again, cos I need to restock my tank. Some of my fish have passed away and I now have: 7 x neon, 4 x Pristella Tetras, 5 x Harlequins & 3 x Corydoras. As before I would like to add some more 'showy' fish, Black Mollies? Or should I just restock what I have?

Can anyone advise me on some suitable fish. I have an infestation of small snails, literally hundreds. I've tried the cucumber trick, which keeps them in check, but doesn't look nice. I've read you can get some snail eating fish, but don't know if they would effect my current stock.

The best trick is to DRASTICALLY reduce the amount of food that you feed and adopt a kill on sight philosophy for them.  They can be a nuisance, but ultimately, that's all they are really.  No harm, really.  

What fish do you currently have, and what is the volume of the tank?

its a 73 litre tank with neons harlequins and some others. Im interested in this thread inparticular as people are always argueing about what can go in what. I personally think if youve got stuff like neons and harlequins that arnt gonna grow to big to get a nice school going and qaslong as your levels stay in check your right. Most of the information i use/have is from my grandad and back when he kept fish they didnt bother with filters or heaters ???>

ANyways, in my 90 litre i got 19 fish/frogs but they are all fine, all compatable and all under 2" and will probably never get that big. Like i said, water changes, Filtration and checking of levels (ammonia, Nitrate/nitrite etc) are key too. Common Sense stuff.n

As for a centre peice type fish i do think it would be easier to get more of the fish you already have or get a bigger tank then there are more options. I had similar snail troubles too but get rid of it like eagles suggest by less food and a 'pick out when you see them' routine. I also changed my tank from Gravel to Sand so that helped getting loads out too ha ha

Any Pictures by the way ?

If you still have the UFO 550 then the total volume is 100L not counting water displacement, there was a thread on here a while back where the member emailed Aqua One and they said the volume was 100L and not 78L. I had the same problem too before my upgrade with this tank and being told different numbers by different sources.

Also tried the 'kill on site' policy, but they keep coming back. Feeding three times a day, I'll cut that back to two. Blooming things! 

THREE times a day?!?!  That's way too much.  I feed my tank once a day, most days.  I feed about 5 times a week.  Overfeeding is the root of the problem.  Less food means less snails.  The fish will find the food much sooner than the snails, but if you are overfeeding the fish, they are far less interested in the food and the snails will find it, and repopulate quickly.

Starve the tank for about 3 days (the fish will be just fine), and then you can start to make inroads.  Honestly, there's no "quick" solution that won't cause more problems than it will solve.  Don't overfeed and the snails will be a "nuisance" not a swarm. 

Judging by your tank size I would like to say that you're fully stocked. I am glad to see that you're keeping your shoaling fish in groups as this will let you see more of their natural behaviour and they will be happier.

However, I would also like to say that a pair of dwarf gouramis would be a good addition as they mainly dwell at the surface and do not get too large but after that. You will start having problems due to the high level of waste all those fish will put out.

Sounds like you are fully stocked.  FiSh123FiSh is right about the dwarf gouramis, or you might want to try Honey Gouramis.  Good luck with your snail problem :/

Thanks chaps for all your replies, guess I've been over feeding then. I will not feed 'em now untill Monday and start at once a day and see how I get on with those pesky devils. Curiously, the infestation has only happened in the last few weeks or month, with no new introduction of fish or plants. I've been feeding my plants with 5ml Neutro T & 2.5ml Neuto Co2 daily, as I had an algea problem. I got rid of the algea, but has this any to do with the snail thing? Been feeding the plants for a while though.

I don't think that the algae is related to the snails, but I've never had a major problem with either...

Most reactions

Back