What Fish To Buy?

also man said a tank usually takes 2 weeks to be cycled, 4 max :S so very confused now as i thought i was sorted now water had eventually gone right, also wat does LFS mean iv been trying to work it out for ages, hold on, Local Fish Shop? pls dont say yes or ill feel so stupid lol

i am just about to test water again so ill post when i get results, hopefully they'll be the same :good:

Yes, I think you're doing a good job and getting better and better at learning this stuff but no, I don't think I'm too confused but instead feel there's still some info that's not been put across to you in a detailed enough manner yet. It could very well be that you lost most of those fish mostly because of an uncycled tank, rather than disease, or at least because infections or conditions they had were worsened enough by the bad water conditions that they were unable to make it. Its quite possible to have platies and, to a lesser extent, guppies, have a higher survival rate in an uncycled tank than some of the other fish you mentioned in the threads.

Just taking a look at your last post there.. excellent that you used tank water if washing the filter. Doing 25% water changes per week during fish-in cycling might or might not have been correct, one can't tell as the real goal during fish-in cycling is to never have the ammonia or nitrite rise above 0.25ppm before one can change the water again, otherwise you're left not knowing what amount of damage might have been done to the fish. Filter supplement would not have hurt anything but would not have really done anything either. Denitrol, not sure whether that would have been harmess or negative.

OK, enough of the "sounding negative" stuff, sorry! It sounds like you are not monitoring the right things and each day you continue to get "double-zeros" (meaning on ammonia and nitrite) the more confident you can be that your two fledgling colonies of bacteria will not have too serious a mini-cycle when a few more fish are added. Just be aware that your colonies are bound to not be very "robust" yet, so be sure to keep any new fish introductions pretty small, I'd say.

~~waterdrop~~

If you have a read of the sticky

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=277264

There is a lot of info about cycling - both fishless and fish-in.

To be honset you've had some rubbish advice from the LFS (yep- local fish shop) like most beginners do so not your fault. I'd be inclined to take all remaining fish back, demand store credit for those that died and do a proper fishless cycle so you get off to a better start.

ok guys thanks for the advice, denitrol is supposed to put in the natural bacteria to help cycle tank, at least thats wat it says, wat are the stats meant to be then??
im doing the tests again now ill update in a sec

A lot of things say that unfortunately, your water stats now will help.

I think we can write off the denitrol as worthless, I've certainly never heard anyone here recommending it to beginners.

Oh, no, I think there's every reason to think this tank might now have reached a reasonably close ending to a fish-in cycle. I don't think there's any data yet to suggest the fish that are left need to be taken back if the OP doesn't want to. I was just feeling that it would be more prudent in this situation to go a little longer, gather more days of stats and be sure, rather than beginning to add new fish yet.

More days of zero ammonia and zero nitrite will be the good sign.

~~waterdrop~~

ok it has changed, here goes

PH - 6.5-7.0
Ammonia - 0-0.5
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 5-10

nitrate colour was in between and ammonia instead of turning slightly green if it goes a bit high it was clear but v.v.v.slightly blue by the looks of things :S

unless it looks it because of the lighting in my living room lol (ammonia)

also im confused as PH has changed again, its the only thing which has by a lot, is that good or bad because most fish prefer slightly acidic water but it was quite a change??

There's not necessarily a right or wrong type of light to use for comparing the test tubes to the color charts. What's more helpful is to just be very consistent so that tests over different days are more comparible. I used the same incandescent light and always held the chart and tube the same number of inches away, with the light shining on it and not also in my eyes.

If you are indeed getting a trace of ammonia in there then that of course is exactly what I've been talking about that can happen with young bacterial colonies that are only at the one month mark, where they might or might not be expected to be big enough and therefor cycled.

~~waterdrop~~

ok thanks do you think its best that i wait then or if water is good for next couple of days go ahead?

Personally I'd test daily, do 25% water change daily and see how it is in 3 days then if all good research and plan to get 1 or 2 fish at weekend.

Most reactions

Back