What Fish To Buy

Tracyhf1

Reaction score
We have a 270 l tank, new set up with sand substrate, several plants, (but not heavily planted at the moment) it has 2 stripped raphaels and a common pleco in at the moment. Its 50 inches long, by approx 20 inches high and about 16 inches deep. So a nice size.
I will be adding some more fish in about 2 weeks I am guessing.

I can't have anything too small, like neons, as it will be like a dinner bell for the catfish.

At the moment I am thinking we will put in:

A pearl gourami or two.
A shoal (about 8 ) Congo tetras
Some little group of Rainbow fish.
Possible a couple of Mollies that are all black and white spotty (hubby seems to like them)

Can anyone tell me if these would be a problem together, or if there might be a stunning addition that would go well with them?

Other fish that catch my eye are Angels, Elephant noses, black ghost knife, gold severums... I am really a bit confused. I don't trust my LFS for advice as they sold me 2 gold severums for my 30 inch narrow tank a few months ago, saying they would be fine. Then I saw how big they can grow! Not sure how they might be with rainbow fish or mollies though.

I want to take my time and get lots of advice this time, not just rush in and buy something and then get home and realise I have been given shoddy advice by lfs. I don't want something that will grow too big for the tank (I think the black ghost might grow big and fast..?)

A pearl gourami or two.
A shoal (about 8 ) Congo tetras
Some little group of Rainbow fish

these three would be fine in that tank, should be compatible as well

mollies do best in brackish water which would be very very bad for the catfish and plec so i would advise against these

Angels should be fine
Elephant noses, quite delicate and need a fair amount of care, by all means try them but do a lot of research first.
black ghost knife, gets too big for the tank at 24"
gold severums should be fine although possibly not with the smaller fish listed above if you do get them

the link in my sig 'how to work out stocking lists' should give you some pointers on working out if fish are compatible.

Most reactions

Back