What fish is this?

CRS

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought some glow light tetras last weekend, not only did i get 50% off i got a 7th for free and this fish in the attached photos, one of my local garden centres is getting a new system for there tropical fish so they're trying to get rid of there stock asap.

8 fish for £5, not bad at all. :cool:

So in total i have 8 cardinal tetras, 7 glowlight tetras, 5 adult guppies, about 50 guppie fry 🧐 11 Neocaridina davidi shrimp (red, blue and yellow) and 2 plecs

Does this little fish need another friend or two, or unlike tetras will it be ok?

Attachments

• 20211102_175317.jpg
    20211102_175317.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 20211102_175449.jpg
    20211102_175449.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 72
I bought some glow light tetras last weekend, not only did i get 50% off i got a 7th for free and this fish in the attached photos, one of my local garden centres is getting a new system for there tropical fish so they're trying to get rid of there stock asap.

So in total i have 8 cardinal tetras, 7 glowlight tetras, 5 adult guppies, about 50 guppie fry 🧐 11 Neocaridina davidi shrimp (red, blue and yellow) and 2 plecs

Does this little fish need another friend or two, or unlike tetras will it be ok?
Looks a lot like a Serpae Tetra...it needs another 7 companions. ;)
Check 'em out at Seriously Fish.

EDIT: LInk added.

It's an interesting one with the black mark looking like a serpae tetra but the dorsal fin is red phantom. So I am going with a red phantom tetra too.

It's an interesting one with the black mark looking like a serpae tetra but the dorsal fin is red phantom. So I am going with a red phantom tetra too.
maybe it is the latter of the 2?

Firsts thought was a red phantom but could be one of the Rosy tetra clade possibly

Looks like Red phantom Tetra to me.

Looks a lot like a Serpae Tetra...it needs another 7 companions. ;)
Check 'em out at Seriously Fish.

EDIT: LInk added.

So i bought 2 Serpae tetras today, they both swam straight to the other fish which we believe is a red phantom 🧐
;)

The 3 of them seem happy together, should we go with 2 serpae tetras and a red phantom or 3 serpae tetras? :lol:

Attachments

• IMG-20211113-WA0002.jpeg
    IMG-20211113-WA0002.jpeg
    144.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG-20211113-WA0004.jpeg
    IMG-20211113-WA0004.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 37
2 serpaes and red phantom.

I should warn you that serpaes are very nippy fish, and you need well over 10 of them in the hope they'll keep the nipping within the shoal. With 2, every other fish in the tank is likely to be targeted. I once bought 6 serpaes and they went back almost immediately - the day after I got them every other fish in the tank had bits missing :(

2 serpaes and red phantom.

I should warn you that serpaes are very nippy fish, and you need well over 10 of them in the hope they'll keep the nipping within the shoal. With 2, every other fish in the tank is likely to be targeted. I once bought 6 serpaes and they went back almost immediately - the day after I got them every other fish in the tank had bits missing :(

I will keep an eye on them, they seem ok at the moment, i didn't know they were aggressive!

You need to take @Essjay advice here very seriously. This species is a real terror. It must have 10-12 in the group, but beyond that it cannot be housed with non-active or sedate fish. You really would be well advised to return the three...the trouble can be quick to appear, or it my take days, even a few weeks for the fish to settle in and start being "normal."

I do no think the fish in the initial post photos is this species (Hyphessobrycon eques), it is probably H. sweglesi. It is not to be wondered that the three are swimming with the other, they are closely related species and not having sufficient numbers of either it is natural they seek out other species to provide the security they would have with a larger group of their own (both species).

I have cardinals, guppies, guppie fry, plecs, shrimp and glowlight tetras as well as these, would you advise that i buy more or to separate these? i have just set up a second tank for guppie fry, shrimp and kuhli loaches, was told when i bought them that they are a community fish.

I have cardinals, guppies, guppie fry, plecs, shrimp and glowlight tetras as well as these, would you advise that i buy more or to separate these? i have just set up a second tank for guppie fry, shrimp and kuhli loaches, was told when i bought them that they are a community fish.

This partly depends upon the tank size, which is not mentioned in this thread. What are the dimensions (length and width needed here) and volume?

Aside from that though, I would expect the guppies to be targets of the "Serpae" tetras regardless.

Most reactions

Back