What Fish Is This?

missoptimist

Reaction score
Hi
At the weekend i bought 3 fish which were labelled as Heros Severus but when searching for care advice have not come accross a picture that looks even slightly like them! Is this just because they are juveniles or have i got something else?

smallfish.jpg

Also does anyone have advice on feeding them - they have taken frozen daphnia and brine shrimp but wont touch cichlid flakes.

Thanks

For sure not a severum. It is definitely a Thorichtys of some sort. Maybe aureus?

I was going to say it looked like a Bolivian butterfly cichlid, also called a Bolivian Ram. But it isn't the right colouring. It might be a hybrid or a newish species that isn't commonly available.

Most of the smaller South American cichlids should take flake and pellet food but prefer frozen & live foods. Try different things and vary it each day. They will start to eat other foods soon.

I would say a ram too... but maybe a blue acara that is extremely pale? How long had it been in your tank when picture was taken?

Wow! It's really beautiful, whatever it is - and I WANT ONE :lol:

If you do find out exactly what it is, let me know so I can put an order in at my LFS!! (Hoping it's not a variety that will grow too large).

Honestly, some of those LFS's don't have a clue what they are selling half the time! I was sold a pair of fish labelled as Pink Severums - only to find out recently that they were actually Pink Convicts. Doh!

Athena

Thanks so much for all the suggestions - after comparing pictures with the real thing I think they are most likely to be Thorichthys ellioti. At least I can check out how to care for them now.

This forum is great, would be stuck without it

My guess is either Thorichthys ellioti or Thorichthys affinis, def one of those IMO

That is a Thoricthys ellioti juvenile, probably around four months old. There are pictures of mine in the "Member's Cichlids" thread pinned at the top of this forum.

I would be careful. You may find in a month or two that they suddenly start to get immensely aggressive towards one another. Naturally it depends what ratio of males to females you have, but if you have two males, you can nearly guarantee a death.. in my experience. I bought five of these fish and two were battered to death three weeks down the line.

They'll take most frozen foods happily - brineshrimp, worms of any description [glassworm, bloodworm, even chopped earthworms].

If you need any more info throw me a PM as I'll blatantly forget to check this thread :)

Most reactions

Back