What Fish Is This?

tigerstar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I got this fish from a lady who gave me about 17 fish for free. She told me it was a convict and I really just can't see that being true. Here are some of the clearest photos I could get. It's really fast so they really aren't that good.

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

I hope you can help me.

I now have 16 convicts and can say that he is not one. He is silver with blue stripes horizontal strips that end just around the middle of him and go to his tail.
Looks like a Giant Danio to me :)Danio picture
No, the color is off. Unless they can come in silver and blue only?
how big is it, it looks like a deformed danio lol
About the size of the convicts. I'd say |-----------------------------------------------------------------------| that big from nose to tail

Looks like a giant danio (Devario aequipinnatus) to me :good:.

Or at least some Devario species, I'm no danio expert and I've seen a few similar looking species, couldn't say 100% from those pics.

The-Wolf knows tonnes about danios, and even has a danio forum, so you could probably ask him there if you wanted to know :).

I know its really bad pictures, its so hard to get a good one of him tho. hes so quick! I can draw okish so I will try to get a sketch of him up!

It still looks like a Giant Danio to me. I'm posting another picture link because Giant danios are very metallic and can look different depending on the lighting :)

Different Danio picture

This fish are Super fast top dwelling swimmers.

Looks like some kind of rainbow fish to me, but not 100% sure, any chance of a better picture?

It still looks like a Giant Danio to me. I'm posting another picture link because Giant danios are very metallic and can look different depending on the lighting :)

Different Danio picture

This fish are Super fast top dwelling swimmers.

This is starting to look more like it. I guess this is what happens when I get 17 fish and 2 tanks for free huh?

LOL Yup, that would certainly do it :) Do feel that you ID question is answered?

Looks like some kind of rainbow fish to me, but not 100% sure, any chance of a better picture?

No, not really. I don't have a really good camera to begin with but trying to get a picture of a fast fish that hides when lights come on and I can barely ketch in a net, it's near imposable.

Oh, if it's a Giant danio, It's a schooling fish that would be happiest with at least 6 and a huge tank ( I would say 55gal US + (mainly because there would be so many).

Most reactions

Back