What fish get along well with bettas?

Your orandas will eat the danios when they get big enough and they really shouldn't be in the same tank anyway -_-

steppy104 said:
how about, better than a sticky, someone starts a post listing fish that can go with betta's, and why they can go with betta's, and what other fish/tankmates will go good with your betta's personal attitude....i found a website that put out great info on that...i think i linked it in my "links" topic.
How about we take that idea (first part atleast) and put it in a sticky so it wont die out?

It is a good idea in theory, but there are too many variables including the fact that every betta is unpredictable so some of them can't live with anyone at all. Most bettas will live longer and be healthier in solitary tanks, so I don't think it's necessarily a great idea to encoourage tank mates. -_-

We would also have to give tank size requirements for all the potential tank mates which would end up being an additional fish index. I think it would be easier for the person to think of possible fish and then we can yay nay them. If someone comes in and wants general suggestions we can always link them back to other threads on tankmates. :thumbs:

k....are you volunteering? lol....i don't feel like doing it....feelin lazy :p

edit-i gathered up enough strength to copy and paste what it says on the 2 linked websites to here--

"Betta Tankmates

Bettas can make great additions to the community tank, but their tank mates need to be chosen with care and the bettas personality taken into consideration.
First, is your betta highly aggressive, or has it been alone for most of its life? Some bettas are solely solitary fish. Adult males can be aggressive to any fish, whether it is the same species or not. Males that have often been alone for several months may not welcome other fish into "his" territory. If it is an old fish who has been alone all of his life, then it is better to leave him that way. Old fish may become stressed when surrounded by new, curious fish, whose motives he isn't sure of.
When picking out tankmates, be aware of all of the fish's personalities. Watch for fish that might hurt the betta. Fin nipping fish such as barbs and most tetras will often rip at the males finnage, which can lead to the male killing its tankmates, or the male being killed from damage and infection from his torn fins. Gouramis are never good tankmates for bettas, as they are anabantoids like the betta. Gouramis will fight, and often kill, bettas. Other aggressive fish (cichlids, especially when spawning) shouldn't be part of the bettas tank, as they may get into a territory battle. Next, consider whether or not the betta will be a danger to the fish. Fancy guppies and lyretail swordtails, with long finnage, may pose a challenge to the betta and be hurt or killed. Small, darting fish (mosquito fish or small neon tetras) may be mistaken for food and eaten. Livebearer (molies, platies, guppies, swordtails) fry will be swallowed eagerly.
So what kind of fish can you have with a betta? A whole bunch of kinds, actually. Catfish are fine, and are cute as can be, too. Livebearers (besides those with fancy finnage) make great companions, as long as you don't expect the fry to survive. Danios and rainbow fish are peaceful and quite beautiful fish. Larger, non-aggressive tetras and barbs (adult Neon Tetras, Cherry barbs) make fine tankmates, as do plecostomus and many sharks, such as the bala or red tail shark (many sharks get quite large though, so be sure that you have enough tank space for the adult sharks). Shrimps can be good tankmates, but some bettas will eat the shrimp."

and heres what the other page says--

"Tankmates for Bettas

The first thing to consider is your tank space. Never overstock, and never try to house fish in a tank they'd be miserable in. If a fish is happier in schools, obviously you would not want to condem it to a little 2 gallon tank.

The second thing to keep in mind is that some fish that don't get along well together due to temperment. For bettas, you don't want certain types of fish as tankmates: bettas are fiercely aggressive with each other, but are sometimes even timid in a community tank. Fin nipping fish like some barbs or some tetras will bite their long, flowing finnage. Others like cherry barbs are suitable, though.

Another thing sometimes overlooked that you should consider when looking for tankmates is the type of water that each fish requires. You should do some research on the species of fish in question to find out its specific needs, then see if they match up. This is very important to the longterm health of your fish!

That being said, here are some types of fish that would be suitable with a betta:

- white cloud minnow
- tetras
- danios
- angelfish
- livebearers *except mollies, which benefit from brackish water
I also don't know that I'd put a betta in with fancy guppies, as it might confuse them with another betta.
- rasboras

As far as tankmate bottom feeders go, plecos, loaches or catfish are suitable. Corydoras (cory cats) are a common favorite. I enjoy Khuli loaches, although they are sometimes hard to care for. There's also a black Khuli loach, by the way.

The bottom line is that the best tankmate depends on the temperment of your betta. It may get along fine with one type fish, but another person's won't. Keep an eye on tankmates and be prepared to seperate if there are trouble signs (fish who are injured, stressed, hiding, chasing or harassing, etc).

If you're playing with dangerous combinations you may think things appear fine, but one day you may wake up to a nasty surprise such as dead tankmates. "Everything was just fine, until he started attacking." Some combinations just weren't meant to be! Respect that even if things appear fine at first, and as always, just keep an eye out for troubles with your tankmates.

Don't get me wrong - I don't mean to scare you away from tankmates. Bettas can be just fine as community fish. You just have to remember a few guidelines to make it successful for both you and the fish. Good luck with it!"

and also, since i only have 2 links, if anyone would like to suggest a link about tankmates to add to that, it would be really appreciated. :D

k....are you volunteering? lol....i don't feel like doing it....feelin lazy :p

edit-i gathered up enough strength to copy and paste what it says on the 2 linked websites to here--

"Betta Tankmates

Bettas can make great additions to the community tank, but their tank mates need to be chosen with care and the bettas personality taken into consideration.
First, is your betta highly aggressive, or has it been alone for most of its life? Some bettas are solely solitary fish. Adult males can be aggressive to any fish, whether it is the same species or not. Males that have often been alone for several months may not welcome other fish into "his" territory. If it is an old fish who has been alone all of his life, then it is better to leave him that way. Old fish may become stressed when surrounded by new, curious fish, whose motives he isn't sure of.
When picking out tankmates, be aware of all of the fish's personalities. Watch for fish that might hurt the betta. Fin nipping fish such as barbs and most tetras will often rip at the males finnage, which can lead to the male killing its tankmates, or the male being killed from damage and infection from his torn fins. Gouramis are never good tankmates for bettas, as they are anabantoids like the betta. Gouramis will fight, and often kill, bettas. Other aggressive fish (cichlids, especially when spawning) shouldn't be part of the bettas tank, as they may get into a territory battle. Next, consider whether or not the betta will be a danger to the fish. Fancy guppies and lyretail swordtails, with long finnage, may pose a challenge to the betta and be hurt or killed. Small, darting fish (mosquito fish or small neon tetras) may be mistaken for food and eaten. Livebearer (molies, platies, guppies, swordtails) fry will be swallowed eagerly.
So what kind of fish can you have with a betta? A whole bunch of kinds, actually. Catfish are fine, and are cute as can be, too. Livebearers (besides those with fancy finnage) make great companions, as long as you don't expect the fry to survive. Danios and rainbow fish are peaceful and quite beautiful fish. Larger, non-aggressive tetras and barbs (adult Neon Tetras, Cherry barbs) make fine tankmates, as do plecostomus and many sharks, such as the bala or red tail shark (many sharks get quite large though, so be sure that you have enough tank space for the adult sharks). Shrimps can be good tankmates, but some bettas will eat the shrimp."

and heres what the other page says--

"Tankmates for Bettas

The first thing to consider is your tank space. Never overstock, and never try to house fish in a tank they'd be miserable in. If a fish is happier in schools, obviously you would not want to condem it to a little 2 gallon tank.

The second thing to keep in mind is that some fish that don't get along well together due to temperment. For bettas, you don't want certain types of fish as tankmates: bettas are fiercely aggressive with each other, but are sometimes even timid in a community tank. Fin nipping fish like some barbs or some tetras will bite their long, flowing finnage. Others like cherry barbs are suitable, though.

Another thing sometimes overlooked that you should consider when looking for tankmates is the type of water that each fish requires. You should do some research on the species of fish in question to find out its specific needs, then see if they match up. This is very important to the longterm health of your fish!

That being said, here are some types of fish that would be suitable with a betta:

- white cloud minnow
- tetras
- danios
- angelfish
- livebearers *except mollies, which benefit from brackish water
I also don't know that I'd put a betta in with fancy guppies, as it might confuse them with another betta.
- rasboras

As far as tankmate bottom feeders go, plecos, loaches or catfish are suitable. Corydoras (cory cats) are a common favorite. I enjoy Khuli loaches, although they are sometimes hard to care for. There's also a black Khuli loach, by the way.

The bottom line is that the best tankmate depends on the temperment of your betta. It may get along fine with one type fish, but another person's won't. Keep an eye on tankmates and be prepared to seperate if there are trouble signs (fish who are injured, stressed, hiding, chasing or harassing, etc).

If you're playing with dangerous combinations you may think things appear fine, but one day you may wake up to a nasty surprise such as dead tankmates. "Everything was just fine, until he started attacking." Some combinations just weren't meant to be! Respect that even if things appear fine at first, and as always, just keep an eye out for troubles with your tankmates.

Don't get me wrong - I don't mean to scare you away from tankmates. Bettas can be just fine as community fish. You just have to remember a few guidelines to make it successful for both you and the fish. Good luck with it!"

and also, since i only have 2 links, if anyone would like to suggest a link about tankmates to add to that, it would be really appreciated. :D

Another good bottom feeder tank-mate for the betta(or at least mine thus far) have been a few african dwarf frogs.

I agree with Nights. My betta does very well with my african dwarf frogs. He isn't the least bit aggressive towards them. Alpha just swims around looking at the frogs. Be very careful though that they are dwarf frogs and not clawed frogs, since I've heard that they are often advertised as dwarfs. :)

Also, before I knew what fishless cycling was, my son's tank was cycled with his dwarf frog in it. She seemed to do ok with the cycle.

Most reactions

Back