What Do You Feed Your Lion Fish

black molly3

Fish Herder
Reaction score
what do you feed yor lion fish. i hent actualy got one but hopefuly will be getting one soon and i am plannig for his first meal in my tank a guppy then mabee another guppy and then i will try to persuade him on frozen. is this corrct. (that is what i have read how to get them feeding)
thanks

My husband and I are going to get a little dwarf lionfish. He went to the petstore and got to see them feed today. He gobbled down some little cut up bits of fish. Basically, It depends on what he's used to. One of the books I bought suggested that you ask to see the fish eat if you think it's a breed that might be finicky. Some fish stores will already have your lionfish eating dead food. I would recomend (based on the advice of others) that you buy a fish that already eats in the store what you are able to feed him. There's never any guarantee that any fish will "eventually" take whatever food you offer him. (Like my little office buddy, Bovie, the Betta that will not eat Betta pellets.)

Lionfish should be adaptable to 'dead' foods. Try it with dead food first. If not, really any fish which it can fit in its mouth will be fine. I had a lionfish which readily accepted frozen food straight away, but as Audfish said, that was probably because he had already been weened onto it. :good:

I don't own a lionfish but the LFS I work at carries them. When we get them in usually the first thing I do is feed them rosie minnows. I hate to give them that crap but at least it gets them eating something.

Usually, within a week or so, with a little patience and persistance I get them eating frozen krill/silversides. Right now we have one left that we've had for a good amount of time that started this way. He eats anything that floats in front of his face.. krill, silversides, small pieces of brine, mysis, etc. Once they are on frozen marine foods they no longer get any freshwater feeder fish.

Even though live freshwater fish are a bad food for lions I think your plan is solid. If you do get one and it takes him sometime to get on to frozen don't give up.. eventually you will have success. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back