What Do You Do With Fish Babies?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

eduller

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This might be the stupidest question ever, but here goes. I haven't had to think of this yet because 2 of the 3 fish I currently have are sterile (glofish). But I'm thinking ahead to when I move them to my larger tank. I'll round out the school with 3 more glofish, but I was thinking of also adding in a school of guppies (3 at a time of course). And I've read that you should have at least one female guppy, correct? So what do you do with the little fishy babies that will eventually arise from this? I don't want to end up with fifteen thousand guppies in my tank.  I don't have friends/family to disperse them to. Do you...get something to eat them? How would you keep that thing from eating your other fish?

I would say if you got a bunch of males and one female, they would harrass her to death! I would stick with all males... unless you just want babies... and yes, you will end up with a ton of babies!!! I'm currently having issues with over populated guppies!

Ooh for some unknown reason I thought you needed a female guppy. Not sure where I got that from, but thanks all :)

You can feed newly born fry to betta fish, gold fish ect.

I usually raise up any fry in a separate 20g long and sell them at my local aquarium society. I can make a few dollars, and keep populations down. However, for a lot of people, such as the common hobbyist (not the expert breeder) a separate 20g long is just for raising guppy fry is not practical. I would say, just stick to all males. As Irhodes said, the single female would be constantly harassed.

Most likely the fry will get eaten. And you heard about the rule about male and female ratio. Normally there should be more females, not sure where you heard that you should just have at least one. If thats the case then she will be harassed to death and you wont need to worry about fry lol

Most reactions

Back