what could go in a 5 gal?

I have a Mini-bow 5 (2 of them actually) and the Coralife 20w bulbs work perfectly. They barely fit.... but barely is good enough :) By ALL means, replace that crap incandescant bulb with a Coralife 20w. Even the 50/50 bulb designed for marine tanks grows plants 100x better than the incandescant ever will.... but if you look around you can find one in a plant spectrum.

http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNum...Relationship=34

# ColorMax is ideal for freshwater aquariums
# 50/50 is perfect for freshwater and saltwater aquariums- 50% 10,000K Daylight, 50% Actinic 03 Blue
# Low operating temperature
# 6,000 hour life

10,000K ? I thought that 6500K was the best to use for bulbs in planted tanks?

If the MiniBow 5 is what your getting I suggest you get the...
http://www.all-glass.com/products/lighting/minicompact.html

...The other bulbs stated above wont fit in the ordinary light sockets that come with your hood. These bulbs would also grow your plants way better, won't raise your water temperature as incandescents put off a lot of heat, they are 6500k full spectrum bulbs, you will have 4wpg, and your aquarium will not have the yellow look but will look more bluish/white. Cleaner look I must say.

I have one suggestion though. You can get a...

10 gallon tank - $9.11
Whisper 10-15 power filter - $9.99
Full Incandescent Hood - $19.99
2 Mini Compact Fluorescent 6500k bulbs $5.00

...and your 10 lbs. of prefered substrate and what ever stock and decoration for the same money. You get 5 gallons more plus more space for planting and decoration.

That is the better idea IMO. Saved me money and use these tanks as plant grow outs and guppy fry.

I guess it is what you want though. You may want smaller and want the shape of the MiniBow 5.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

:) Goodluck either way.

Yes, the bulbs I'm telling you WILL fit in those sockets. The Coralife 20w bulbs fit perfectly in a Mini-bow 5. The All-Glass bulb is only 10 watts.

Discomafia: it says the Colormax is ideal for freshwater aquariums... which it is, being 6500k. The 50/50 Daylight/Actinic bulb will also grow things, although perhaps not as well.... and I'd say that it looks better.... freshwater or saltwater.

Trust me, the bulb I posted WILL fit.

This is not a question of trust or not. I was just telling him if it didn't fit, you could always go my way.

And jordan barnhart, that's the one I'm talking about. AGA produces them. And I agree w/ you about the look of the tank w/ the AGA tank, I've just never tried the ones chkltcow uses.

In regards to sand if you are doing weekly water changes and simply stirring it as you vac you will never have a problem with compaction.

It doesn't take me any longer to do my water changes and I stir the sand good. And sand looks good.

to chkltcow

sorry. I thought you meant the 4pin fluoro bulbs from AGA. My mistake.

Yes the bulbs you posted will work.

5000k-6700k bulbs are most useful to plants. 10,000k bulbs are better for SW coral.

I think the 50/50 bulbs you posted would make things look too blue. Im not familiar with these bulbs.

im a little cunfuzzled by all the suggestions and different views

i think ill try the Coralife 20w bulbs first because they sound good and r easy for me to get. if that doesnt work ill try the mini compact.

jordan barnhart: i cant get a 10 gal

guess ill get java moss, java ferns, and ill see wether to get anubias or crypts or both. im trying to get quite a bit of ground room for the gobies.

thnx for the tip enchanted

thnx for all replies and advice

With the 20w in my mini-bow, I've been able to grow java ferns, crypts, pygmy chain sword, alternanthera, myriophyllum, and water sprite. The only thing I haven't had luck with was dwarf hair grass, and I think that's because the other stuff blocked the light to the hair grass.

Edit: pics

coralife.jpg

The Coralife 20w bulb in the hood of my marine tank.... complete with "custom reflector" ;)

planted5.jpg

The jungle in my other Minibow 5. There's Java ferns, myrio, alternanthera, and cryptocoryne wendtii. You can also see the color that the 50/50 bulb puts out.

I am going to be doing that exact same thing with my empty 5 gal. My plans are to have:

6 neon tetras
2 cory cats
1 otto cat

After reading about the sand thing I think I will just keep the gravel idea better. I was doing some reading about sand and it seems that more people say not to use sand for rooted plants. I am going to be putting in some Java Fern and Sword Plants.

I have been wanting to do this for a while now, after keeping and breeding fish for over 20 years I always talked about setting up a small tank with plants and neons, just beautiful in my eyes.... :kana:

bugsy

Most reactions

Back