What Corydoras In 40L (10G) Tank?

Raab228

Reaction score
Hi guys new to to this and Got a 40l tank and thinking wanting to start to look after corydoras. I know Pygmy could be fine but what others and how many do you think? Also what plants are good for them

Cheers people :)

First choice, and the only ones really suitable in this small a tank, are the "dwarf" species such as Corydoras pygmaeus (pygmy cory), C. hastatus (dwarf cory) and C. habrosus.  I would suggest at least 9-10 of which species, or if you want to have two species, 5-6 of each species.  One caution here though: all corys are better with a sand substrate, but these three species really do need it.  They will not be at their best over gravel no matter what else.  I have a 10g that contains just C. pygmaeus, as they are spawning regularly.  I add dried oak leaves weekly as food for the fry, and I have various stages of fry in this tank permanently.

Beyond this, there are a few species of the "normal" sized corys that could work.  Corydoras panda, C. similis, C. adolfoi (may actually be C. duplicareus, they are frequently mixed up), C. leucomelas, C. metae.  There are others too.  These are all able to reach around 2 inches, but interestingly often remain smaller.  I would say 6-7 of one of these.  Consideration of the filter is important for some, like C. panda which should have a bit more water current than the others; the "dwarf" species are fine with just a sponge filter.

If you can find them, the species in the genus Aspidoras are certainly suitable.  Taxonomically, there are a few Corydoras species that may belong in this genus, so they are very similar in all respects.  A group of 9-12.  Also need sand.

As for plants, this depends a bit upon species.  Most corys occur in watercourses devoid of plants, but having sand (or mud), dried leaves, and lots of wood branches and bogwood chunks.  Floating plants work well to shade the light.  Java Moss on the wood is ideal, as it is a site for spawning and infusoria food for fry.  The pygmy chain sword is a good substrate plant.  Corkscrew Vallisneria is good too.

Byron.

Julii Cory are a fantastic cory to stock. They get about 2 inches in size. They are very active and fun to watch their antics.

Fishmanic said:
Julii Cory are a fantastic cory to stock. They get about 2 inches in size. They are very active and fun to watch their antics.

They get far too large for a 40l tank tough :/

Julii are in 99,9% cases Trilineatus and indeed too big for this tank.
I myself would even say there are no Corys fitting in this size tank. Better : I wouldn't keep them in that size tank.
Though sizewise I would agree, most smaller ones are quite sensible for waterquality.
That's easier to maintain in a bigger tank.

You could get yourself some corydoras paleatus also known as the peppered corydora. Not sure about the UK, but where I live you can find them in almost every pet store. They are very small and I have 8 in a 10 gallon, with no problems the tank looks huge compared to them and my ammonia/nitrite levels have been staying at 0. Since you're looking for stocking recommendations, another cool thing to know about these fish is that they make great tankmates for bettas. Just remember what Byron said, you NEED to get sand as a substrate for these guys because sharp gravel will wreck their barbels(whiskers), and there's nothing cuter than watching a cory dig through some sand.

If I can't convince you, maybe this picture will.
39.jpg

Yeah I wouldn't go with and cories honestly, the smallest tank I own is a 20 gallon long and it still looks pretty small, although it would be suited for some of the dwarf cories. I'd honestly say a 20 is a better minimum.

Peppered corys are not a small species, some of my old ones are close in size to my Emeralds (Brochis splendens), if any I would stick to the recognised dwarf species as Byron already suggested.
Depending on your finanaces, locale and availability there is another really cool interesting and small catfish you could consider called Moth Catfish or Hara jerdoni.

I would also recommend some dwarf cories with maybe some small shrimp species and some plants :)

My biggest female is probably 2 inches max, I fail to see how that would be considered not small? I definitely agree go with a 20 gallon tank though, 10 gallons look like it's plenty of room for small fish but it's not that big.

It is not just the eventual size of the corydoras to be considered when deciding if it will " fit " in your tank, but also the combined size once a suitable shoal/ school has been made. For example 3 of the larger species of cory may fit in a tank x sized, however 3 are never going to be happy and show their true nature and characters and behaviours. Where as a smaller species put into the same tank will allow you to create a suitably sized school/ shoal without causing over crowding, stunting and stress.
Another thing to consider with all corydoras is the tank a tall tank or long shallow tank? Corys like and need to at times gulp air from the surface, with deep tanks corys can find it hard to reach the surface. Also a longer footprint on a tank for bottom dwelling fish is better than a small footprint with deep water column.

Agree with @baccus. Fishsize doesn't say it al!!! 

Peppered (especially females) can get really huge !!!! Keeping 9 in a 160 litre tank.
Aren't you mixing them up with C.habtrosus (pepper and salt Cory) Alex? That's a dwarf !!

Am inclined to agree with Baccus on cories not being really suitable for a 10 gal tank.

I myself have a 10 gallon tank and did consider getting Habrusous or Pygmies at the start but knew the tank has not got a good footprint in terms of size and it may fit 6 Habrusous but they would not be very happy in such a small tank.

They'll survive but not thrive :/

I now have a 20 gal long tank, which is shallow at only 15 inches high, and 2.5 feet long, thi is MUCH more suitable for Habrusous and may get 8 of these beautiful guys when the tank has completed cycling.

In this case of tank size, much more of a chance of these cories thriving :)

Most reactions

Back