What Can We Put In It?

there's a lot of debate over the need of filters for betta's....... it's true that they can survive in relativley poor water conditions, and a lot of people will take this to mean it's OK to keep them in poor water conditions therefore you can have them in an unfiltered bowl.

personally I like to see my fish thrive and to do so will keep them in the best water conditions possible, therefore all our betta's are in filtered, heated tanks.

knowing how many litres or gallons it holds would be helpful to proposing stocking, it does look a decent size though so i think as long as you filter and heat it you should be able to find something she can keep in it.

:)

Filter isnt a problem as i have spares kicking arround, and lots of cycled media!
Why is everyone debating filters when he's blatently said he's got one spare with media ready to go!

Whether bettas do better with or without one is irrellevant to this thread!

Let's try to stay on topic and come up with suggestions as to what could go in this mini-filtered-bowl.

How about some ADFs or Shrimp. Cherry Shrimps seem to be all the rage at the moment, they'd look good if you could get some plants in there too.

How big's the hole at the top? Can you easily get your hand in? If not I think you could have the argument that it'll be more hassle than it's worth but that it'd make a lovely vase for some bamboo stems....

If its just for your mum who i presume isnt that much of a keen fishkeeper... hence believing the term 'goldfish bowl', How about your filter and a small heater and keeping a couple of pretty guppies?

Those containers are usually used for plants. You plant it and then put something like clingfilm over the top then the condensation waters the plants. I had one years ago as a present (don't like gardening!). :) I think that's what it's really meant for.

Volumewise it would be fine for many things, but I'm not keen on the narrow top for maintenence and suchlike.

I would keep coins in it.. The nearer the top the coins get... the better tank she could buy. Also, coins are good community fish that dont need water changes.. or indeed water... dont need feeding, and overstocking is recommended.. hehe..

Squid

I would keep coins in it.. The nearer the top the coins get... the better tank she could buy. Also, coins are good community fish that dont need water changes.. or indeed water... dont need feeding, and overstocking is recommended.. hehe..

Squid

I would not do this, I have a 30 gallon just for coins and I feel they only just have enough space, so in that bowl I wouldn't recommend this

Oh don't get me wrong. I agree 100% that bettas do better with a filter, but it's not needed.

And excuse me neal, but will you kindly shut up.

If not a betta or other fish, simply have flowers or those big colored rock things that some people put in aquariums. Or maybe fake plants, since flowers tend to fade and wilt. And my parents like to put wine corks in bottles like that. We have a few antique vases like that filled with wine corks-it looks quite nice in the kitchen.

But truthfully, I think it's silly to put a fish in a bowl, no offense to your mum of course.

Most reactions

Back