What Can I Use To Have Lots Of Tanks Stacked Above Eachother In My Gar

Geordie2011

Reaction score
I made it in the wrong section before, sorry.

I am wanting tanks like 4 along the bottom, 4 middle, 4 top shelf, what is the correct thing to use to hold the weight?

hi geordie2011
I would say to be on the safe side regarding weight and the height it would be best if you were able to get the frames made out of steel angle bar either welded or bolted together. i know it sounds easier said than done but it would be safer if your planning on stacking 3 tanks high .
good.gif

Will it be expensive?

Hi geordie
I am assuming that you dont know anyone in the metalworking game that could help you out as regarding making your racks. what about going to the likes of halfords or one of the diy places which sell steel storage racks which you put together your self, some of these types are pretty strong or you could re-inforce them to make them stronger. when you think about it your bottom tank could be on your garage floor so your racking would just be for your middle and top tanks. best of luck mate
good.gif

Will metal racks actually support the weight of all the weight though?

Hi geordie2011
If you can get heavy duty steel racking and the connections joining the cross members to the legs are strong enough as regards fixing points then you should have no problems with the weight issue.depending on the wall you are standing the racking against you could always anchor the back legs into the wall if the wall was a brick wall behind the plasterboard. happy days
good.gif

Hi geordie2011
If you can get heavy duty steel racking and the connections joining the cross members to the legs are strong enough as regards fixing points then you should have no problems with the weight issue.depending on the wall you are standing the racking against you could always anchor the back legs into the wall if the wall was a brick wall behind the plasterboard. happy days
good.gif

Basically I want them going against the wall of the house but I'm not too good with DIY stuff myself so who what would be the best thing to make this out of? Bricks,wood,steel?

Is it possible to buy these when you just have to screw it all up yourself? Could somebody show me a roof idea of what I should be shopping for I want it basically like you see them in shops, a tank above a tank above a tank if you get me...

Vast majority of fish rooms I have seen use home made wood racks.

Can you show me any pics?

Hi geordie2011
go onto google and type in heavy duty steel shelving then go down to the 4th one i think its racking uk, click onto this and you will see a picture of the type of setup you are looking for. this racking setup can be put together by yourself and with the 4 legs having all the connection points all the way up you can set the heights of your shelving to whatever height you want as depending on the height of your tanks.
good.gif

http://www.businessmagnet.co.uk/company/rackingandshelvingsupplier-14171.htm

Which one am I after? Will these 100% support the weight of all the tanks though?
12 tanks 3 by 2 by 2's

Also just asking would it be alright to use something like this in a upstairs bedroom
http://www.rapidracking.com/p/1/402/32999/Shelving/All%20Steel%20Shelving/Stainless%20Steel%20Heavy%20Duty.htm
and put a 3fter on it?

Hi geordie2011
i would say the racking would support the size of tanks your after with no problems, when you say 12 tanks i assume you are saying 4 on bttm, 4 midd and 4 top. the tanks on the bottom are more or less sitting on your garage floor you would just need to pack shims under the bottom shelfs so your first 4 tanks are not actually putting any weight onto your shelving. The tanks on the middle and top shelfs are your loads on your shelving, as i said previously for added strengthening you could bolt all the back legs into the brick wall of your garage and you could also bolt the cross members which join each shelf to the legs to give an added stiffening point for each level.If your worried about sagging in the middle of each tank you could add en extra cross bracer in the middle or use thicker wood for the tanks to sit on.
Regarding your other question about a tank in an upstairs bedroom as long as its sitting across the floor joists and you say its a 3ft tank i see no problems, but i wouldnt go wasting money on a steel bench, an ordinary cabinet thats with any fish tank would be fine
good.gif

Hi geordie2011
i would say the racking would support the size of tanks your after with no problems, when you say 12 tanks i assume you are saying 4 on bttm, 4 midd and 4 top. the tanks on the bottom are more or less sitting on your garage floor you would just need to pack shims under the bottom shelfs so your first 4 tanks are not actually putting any weight onto your shelving. The tanks on the middle and top shelfs are your loads on your shelving, as i said previously for added strengthening you could bolt all the back legs into the brick wall of your garage and you could also bolt the cross members which join each shelf to the legs to give an added stiffening point for each level.If your worried about sagging in the middle of each tank you could add en extra cross bracer in the middle or use thicker wood for the tanks to sit on.
Regarding your other question about a tank in an upstairs bedroom as long as its sitting across the floor joists and you say its a 3ft tank i see no problems, but i wouldnt go wasting money on a steel bench, an ordinary cabinet thats with any fish tank would be fine
good.gif

Thanks very much help very much appreciated.

Do I have to use a "fish stand" from the fish shop could I just get a stand or cabinet from say argos or something? How do I know if it's sitting across the joists? Is a 3ft a hard tank to look after or pretty easy for bedroom?

Just I have about 4ft space in the corner of my room thought a 3fter would look nice.

Hi geordie2011
good.gif

Thanks very much help very much appreciated.

Do I have to use a "fish stand" from the fish shop could I just get a stand or cabinet from say argos or something? How do I know if it's sitting across the joists? Is a 3ft a hard tank to look after or pretty easy for bedroom?

Just I have about 4ft space in the corner of my room thought a 3fter would look nice.

Hi geordie2011
Your right you dont need to use a stand from the fish shop, a cabinet would be okay as long as its sturdy enough. You will need to find out which way your floor joists are running so that you can sit your tank running across them,if you can get a look at your chipboard flooring under your carpet you should be able to tell by the nails or screws which way your joists run(joists are normally 400mm apart)
A 3ft tank is pretty easy to look after it all depends on what type of fish you are getting,how many what substrate,what filter etc
good.gif

Most reactions

Back