What can I do with this 2.5 gallon?

hey im kit

Reaction score
Hi,

I was given a 2.5 gallon tank and a aquaclear 20 filter. I was thinking about getting 2 goldfish but I know that's too small for them. Is there any possibility that the tank could house some small tropical fish?

Do they make heaters and lights for 2.5 gallon tanks? :blink:

Thanks so much,

Kit :)

I do not agree that you could have any livebearers, especially mollies, or dwarf gouramis in a 2.5 gallon tank. It's just too small for them! :no: However, a betta would really enjoy it, and you could possibly keep a few otos or cories with him. :thumbs:

Ooh I could really keep otos or a couple cory's with a beta?! That's really awesome :D Do they make lighting for a 2.5 gallon? I'm going to stop by aquatic warehouse this weekend. Thanks!!

Kit

juliethegr8t said:
I do not agree that you could have any livebearers, especially mollies, or dwarf gouramis in a 2.5 gallon tank. It's just too small for them! :no: However, a betta would really enjoy it, and you could possibly keep a few otos or cories with him. :thumbs:
julie's right. :rolleyes:
It's too small for mollies or dwarf gouramis.
I'd do a betta and a pair of dwarf corys.

As far as a heater, I use a 25w for my 5.5g, I'm not sure if they make anything smaller.

For light, I would use one of those small clip-on lights. 8)

Be careful not to overstock. My tank is currently overstocked but they don't seem to be worse for wear...however, I am going to just tell you what they are telling me.

1 gallon for one inch of adult fish. So your betta and one other fish is really all should be in that tank.

I have three zebra danios (small full grown) and the betta. I do partial water changes monthly.

Bettas are not plant eaters so be sure to get him his betta food.

I am setting up a new tank tomorrow and doing a fishless cycle, then taking the danios out of the 2 gallon and putting them in the 30 gallon.

I am sure that they have been happy in the 2 gallon but I'll listen to the professionals here on this site when they say that I am overstocked.

BB

hey im kit said:
Do they make lighting for a 2.5 gallon?
Yes they do. It's a 12-inch light that fits exactly over a 2.5 tank. Here is a pic of the top of my 2.5 with the light and 2 Palm filters.
post-22-1083353282.jpg

BettaBabe said:
Be careful not to overstock. My tank is currently overstocked but they don't seem to be worse for wear...however, I am going to just tell you what they are telling me.

1 gallon for one inch of adult fish. So your betta and one other fish is really all should be in that tank.

I have three zebra danios (small full grown) and the betta. I do partial water changes monthly.

Bettas are not plant eaters so be sure to get him his betta food.

I am setting up a new tank tomorrow and doing a fishless cycle, then taking the danios out of the 2 gallon and putting them in the 30 gallon.

I am sure that they have been happy in the 2 gallon but I'll listen to the professionals here on this site when they say that I am overstocked.

BB
How do you get rid of algae? I think my tank is too close to the window.

Move it away from the window, Itty. :p Hehe, jk.. probably isn't possible. I have the same problem with one of my betta bowls - I just gave up and scrub it every week or so. :rolleyes:

hey im kit said:
If I add a Beta do I need a heater?

thanks,

Kit
If your house stays a comfortable temperature, say low to mid 70's, you should be just fine. However, if you have cories or otos, they might prefer a heater to keep it at tropical temperature - about 76 to 78. :nod:

Itty Bitty Betta said:
How do you get rid of algae? I think my tank is too close to the window.
I didn't "get rid" of the algea. I cleaned the glass by wiping it away, vaccumed the rocks, and removed the decor, scrubbing it well in tank water. The algea is not harmful to my fish (lfs tell me) and I trust that my water levels are good be/c they say so as well.

BB

Most reactions

Back