What Brand Of Skimmer?

gourami5

Reaction score
Hi,

Beside euro reef (too expensive), what brand of skimmer do you guys use? And how do you like it? I am leaning toward coralife super skimmer, is that a good one? I heard that only the highest model (for 200 gallons) is good enough and other are not. Please share your experiences with any brand you use. Thanks.

I have a Coralife 65G. It's a real pain in the ass because I have to adjust it all the time, but it works great. It took me about 3 months to figure out how to make it work properly. You can find a thread with my name on it and my experience with it.

Have fun!!!

I have a Coralife 65G. It's a real pain in the ass because I have to adjust it all the time, but it works great. It took me about 3 months to figure out how to make it work properly. You can find a thread with my name on it and my experience with it.

Have fun!!!

I also had this problem with my coralife, and mine also liked to overflow for no apparent reason. I use a redsea prizm skimmer and it works great. I only get bubbles in the water for about ten minutes, and then the skimmer settles itself. The skimmer is rated for a 100 gallons and if it were to overflow there is a hose that returns the over flow back into the skimmer.

Thanks, guys, I guess coralife is a no-no then. How about aquac remora? Is it pretty good?

andywg, I only have a 55 gallon tank, so I am relectant to spend $400 ( don't know how much are the skimmers you mentioned) on skimmer alone, but I appreciate your advice.

andywg, I only have a 55 gallon tank, so I am relectant to spend $400 ( don't know how much are the skimmers you mentioned) on skimmer alone, but I appreciate your advice.

First link I found on goggle has the Tunze 9005 (good for 135 gallons) at $255. If you have a light bio load, you might get by with the Tunze 9002 nano skimmer for $135.72.

They don't have to be that expensive. Ideally try and find second hand (such as ebay) for deltec and tunze. Tunze are as rare as hen's teeth though in the US, but there should be plenty of super reliable deltecs over there.

I'd go for a Deltec or Aquamedic

I have an Aquamedic 5000 shorty that I'm delighted with

The Deltec MC 500 and and MCE600 have a very good reputation

tunze? Rare in the us? I know 2 major online retails that sell them. Check out www.aquacave.com and www.marinedepot.com. They also sell other skimmers.

tunze? Rare in the us? I know 2 major online retails that sell them. Check out www.aquacave.com and www.marinedepot.com. They also sell other skimmers.
And look at the lead times and delays on getting hold of them. Also, I was referring to second hand Tunzes.

In the last couple of years they have been a bit better (now that they have machine made powerheads in the nano streams - original streams are hand made), but Tunze are rare in Europe where they are made, let alone in the US.

i dunno, i got my tunze nano DOC first hand with no backorder and other tunze products arent really on backorder either. But for second hand i wouldnt know.

andywg is right. couldn't find any tunzes second hand. well I can't find deltec second hand either. but I see lots of aquac remora second hand. Is that a good brand? some one who has used it before, please share your experience. Thanks.

andywg is right. couldn't find any tunzes second hand. well I can't find deltec second hand either. but I see lots of aquac remora second hand. Is that a good brand? some one who has used it before, please share your experience. Thanks.
SkiFletch swears by them hes the guy to talk to about them...

I wouldn't swear of the superskimmers though. I have the 65 and after adjusting it has worked superbly. It took about a week to really start working, but I doubt any skimmer would not have a break in period.

Most reactions

Back