What are these tiny specks in my planted aquarium?

Kyanite14

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This was as zoomed in as I could get, they’re tinier than poppy seeds, but they don’t seem to move, although it’s hard to tell with how small there are. I feel like the sheer quantity of them rules out fish eggs, could it be some sort of mold or algae? I do have an algae issue on the sides of the tank but I’ve never seen this before. I haven’t added anything new to my tank in over a year.
IMG_3143.jpeg

Look really close , maybe use a strong magnifying glass , and see if they are super small snails . I have some snails that are half the size of a BB when full grown and much smaller than that when they first appeared . Judging by the shape of some in the picture I also thought cyclops . Cyclops don’t move much but they make short hops . Where these things come from is a mystery . I think their eggs are in prepared dry food .

Hard to see but it looks dark green ?

If it is, I'll go one of some of the Choleochaete species, that can vary a lot.... Aka green spot algae...

Normally grows in the upper area of tanks, closer to the light. And also rely on excess of nutrients and might also like stronger water current.

Most reactions

Back