Wend's Fishless Cycle

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wend

Reaction score
Hi, i was surprised today to see that my nitrite has dropped to zero and its only day 23. Ammonia has been getting redosed and dropping nicely every day since day 14. The nitrite level was climbing and a wee drop nitrate present.

I assumed the nitrite spike would take twice as long to drop so for the last few days I have just been redosing the ammonia and not doing a full test.

However, as I said, today nitrite is reading zero and nitrates are high at 160ppm. I will await tomorrows test results to see if it happens again, but is it possible to be cycled already?

Hi, i was surprised today to see that my nitrite has dropped to zero and its only day 23. Ammonia has been getting redosed and dropping nicely every day since day 14. The nitrite level was climbing and a wee drop nitrate present.

I assumed the nitrite spike would take twice as long to drop so for the last few days I have just been redosing the ammonia and not doing a full test.

However, as I said, today nitrite is reading zero and nitrates are high at 160ppm. I will await tomorrows test results to see if it happens again, but is it possible to be cycled already?

If you used established filter material or gravel, yes it probably could cycle that fast. As I understand it takes longer for the nitrIte to process than ammonia, so you might keep dosing the ammonia until the nitrIte is cycled in 12 hours or so. You can remove most of the nitrAtes via a huge water change like 90%.

yes perfectly possible mine took 27 days to cycle and others have be know to take 70+ days each tank is different. keep on eye on it if its the same in 7 days i would call it done :good:

Hi, thanks folks. Well another pleasant surprise this morning. I tested at 8am, about 16 hours after redosing and got zero ammonia and zero nitrite! It is indeed looking good. I redosed ammonia this morning too so I will retest at 8pm tonight. Do I really have to keep doing this for 7 days?

So, when I am completely convinced I will do a big water change, turn the temp down and buy my 2 red thai crabs. What happens to the naturally occuring nitrate once the tank is stocked? How much can fish/crabs tolerate?

If your tank can process the 4ppm in 12 hours down to double 0's and can do this for 3 days in a row i would find it hard not to get my fish :good: Not everyone does the 7 days i did 3 :blush:
Dont forget to do a 85% water change and set the temp back to normal for you fish, its not uncommon for fish to be fine in 40ppm nitrate but some users have reported there tank at 100+ before they got tests kits.

I keeep my shrimp tank at under 10ppm and do a small 15% water change if i see my fish over 50ppm outside weekly mateinance

Cool! Actually, on reflection, I can only get my crabs either today, or next weekend. As I wont be able to get ready for them today it will be next week after all. But at least I will know for certain that Im ready. Shall I keep redosing ammonia every 12 hrs till then?

You should only be dosing ammoina once every 24 hours i would stop doing 24 hours or so before you put live stock in

Ah I see I see. So redose every 24 hrs, check to see if levels have dropped after 12 hrs. Im on it! Thanks!

BBA is spot on. Dose at 24hrs and you are looking to find 0ppm ammonia and nitrite at 12hrs.
Just keep an eye on your ph levels and test daily as you have high nitrate levels but if your water has good alkalinity (buffering capacity) then the ph should be ok.

If you have gravel then 85-100% gravel vac water change prior to adding fish is right. You will be surprised at how much gunk it contains.

Will do. Looking forward to it. Yes I have gravel, I need to buy a vac this week. Tonight I retested at 8pm, and got double zeros after 12 hrs. Ill keep on 'qualifying' but thats me certain its done. Happy days!! :good:

Promised the kids the crabs - Itchy and Scratchy, next weekend so all is looking set.

Most reactions

Back