Well I Think All My Fish Are Going To Die

keiths

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A huge storm came through last night and left about 500,000 people around the St. Louis area without power. Of course I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't have a backup for any of my tank stuff but even if I did, I don't think it would help. The temperature today is going to get up to 100 and without air conditioning in my house, I don't think my fish will make it.

Any tips of keeping them alive? I have a 55g stocked with 2 angels, 2 plecos, 10 neons, some other tetras, 2 german blue rams, 3 gouramis

I've heard the power is going to be out in some areas for 5 days. Hopefully I get lucky and it comes back on tonight or tomorrow. When I left my house this morning the temperature in the tank was 77 and it's normally 76. I can only imagine what it's at now.

A huge storm came through last night and left about 500,000 people around the St. Louis area without power. Of course I'm one of the lucky ones. I don't have a backup for any of my tank stuff but even if I did, I don't think it would help. The temperature today is going to get up to 100 and without air conditioning in my house, I don't think my fish will make it.

Any tips of keeping them alive? I have a 55g stocked with 2 angels, 2 plecos, 10 neons, some other tetras, 2 german blue rams, 3 gouramis

I've heard the power is going to be out in some areas for 5 days. Hopefully I get lucky and it comes back on tonight or tomorrow. When I left my house this morning the temperature in the tank was 77 and it's normally 76. I can only imagine what it's at now.

IMO i'd suggest frequent water changes (25% or more) to remove ammonia, nitrites, nitrates and keep the temp down, and under-feeding your fish to keep waste down (produces ammonia)

Sorry must be awful, same as has been said really, water changes, and no feeding at all, i would see if you can buy an battery operated airstone.

Yes you can still do water changes without it running through the filter, if the electricity is still of by the morning i would put your filter in a bucket of tank water, as the bacteria would of died off.

You could take the top off the canister filter, or put the media in a bucket with a larger surface area so that the bacteria have a better chance of surviving with the O2. Apart from the water changes you could stir the water for gas exchange. I had a 12 hour power cut once and all was fine by keeping the filter media working. Hope the power comes back soon.

or get 2 battery-powered air pumps: one for your tank and the other for your filter.

here's hoping the heat doesn't get them :/

They sell power converters that plug into your car's cigarette lighter, though these may be in short supply for you locally. :(

Don't feed the fish, find a container that will hold your filter media that you can poke some holes in the bottom of. The newer plastic coffee containers come to mind. Clip, wire, or tie this to the inside of the top rim of the tank with the media in it, keeping the media wet. Every so often, pour some tank water into the top, it will flow out of the holes in the bottom. The plastic container is the filter, you are the pump.

The angels will handle the heat, the plec is probably most at risk. The others fall somewhere in between. I've had plecs in the mid 80's, angels near 100F. Insulate the tank during the day when it is hot, a thick blanket will do the trick. Remove it at night to take advantage of the cooler temps. Small, cool water changes are definitely needed.

They sell power converters that plug into your car's cigarette lighter, though these may be in short supply for you locally. :(

Don't feed the fish, find a container that will hold your filter media that you can poke some holes in the bottom of. The newer plastic coffee containers come to mind. Clip, wire, or tie this to the inside of the top rim of the tank with the media in it, keeping the media wet. Every so often, pour some tank water into the top, it will flow out of the holes in the bottom. The plastic container is the filter, you are the pump.

The angels will handle the heat, the plec is probably most at risk. The others fall somewhere in between. I've had plecs in the mid 80's, angels near 100F. Insulate the tank during the day when it is hot, a thick blanket will do the trick. Remove it at night to take advantage of the cooler temps. Small, cool water changes are definitely needed.
Thank god I have a generator.. and for short outtages a PC back up battery holds my filters for an hour or 2.. helps for the time we are setting the generator up

I have a 10hp 5kw generator on an old wheeled bread cart. I can run about half my house with it, it's up & running in around 10 minutes. :)

Well still now power but all the fish are still alive. It's raining now so it should get a little cooler today.

My canister has several different types of media in it. Should I just open it and pour some water on it?

if you have an excersie bike..... nevermind lol it would be too complicated for you. Plus you wouldn't be able to get all of the materials...

after hurricane wilma, my power was out for two weeks, i just splashed the water in my tank a lot and made normal water changes. Didn't loose one fish :D I dont think 5 days will be too bad.

Most reactions

Back