Weird Rock Discoloration?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jeffadams

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey guys today i noticed that my rock that i bought at petsmart about three months ago have been turning brown on the top. Recently I have using liquid ferts so could it he that? I dont think its algae im not sure. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• rsz_cam00240.jpg
    rsz_cam00240.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 24
its algae, take it out and give it a scrub :)

Oh really i thought algea was green!? Thats not bad for the fish is it?

it's brown algae, it's not harmful to the fish but can take over an aquarium easily and cause it to look ugly. it's caused by the excess frets you're putting in. you could get more live plants to take in the excess frets to solve the problem.

Those are diatoms and very few fish or inverts actually eat those.

one way to prevent diatoms is to lower your pH since diatoms love alkaline water.

also depends on what fish you already have you could put in diatom eaters like nerite snails and otocinclus

ythao01 said:
it's brown algae, it's not harmful to the fish but can take over an aquarium easily and cause it to look ugly. it's caused by the excess frets you're putting in. you could get more live plants to take in the excess frets to solve the problem.
I used to get a lot of brown algae, mostly because I didn't care for my tank like I should have.  I would clean it as soon as you can, because it actually can stain objects in your tank. I have a lighter colored skull in my tank and I is partially stained, it looks cool, but it didn't come like that.... :p  :)

Hey
ythao01 said:
Hey buying more plants sounds like a good solution to me! :) But thanks everyone i will give it a good scrubbing. And also i tested my ph yesterday and it was at 7.0

Most reactions

Back