Weird brown junk in long gelatinous sacs

squirrelrabbits

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is an emergency or not.. but in doing some routine tank maintenance, I found these weird things hanging off a couple of plants and from the surface of the water. They appear to be tank detritus (brown gunk) encased in in long gelatinous-like sacs (a couple of inches long at the most). Is this anything anyone has ever seen? My fear is that it might be a parasite. My only other guess is that someone in the tank is munching on my sword plant roots and they are floating up and decaying into this...

The tank is a well established 29 gallon that holds 5 medium sized Boesmani Ranibowfish, 1 small Red Tailed Black Shark, a weather loach, a small common pleco, a small sand loach, and a banded chracidium. It is a planted tank with DIY co2 injected. Water parameters are normal; Ammonia and nitrites are at 0, though I noticed nitrates are a bit high today (40) (esp since I just did a 30% water change yesterday).

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• junk.jpg
    junk.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 44
It sounds like snails eggs, i would get them out if you can with a net or something, you do no that a red tailed shark really need a 40gal tank.

If the picture that is added is a pic of what you are describing, that doesn't look like snail eggs to me. I really have no idea what it could be though, It looks like a very big poo from the pic. Hope someone can help a little more.

Most reactions

Back