Weight Of Tank.

b.c.f.c

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i know this subject has been brought up many times but i thought i would start a new thread on it as i feel my question will be answered better by all of you ,hopefully..........well i hope to get a 55 gal for x mas off my mom but the only thing stopping her from getting it me is the weight.ive tryed saying to her its ok but im starting to have doubts as well.ive tryed thinking to my self its like a few fully grown men standing in one room but it hasnt rearly persuaded her.so how much does a 55 gal (uk) weigh and do you guys think a house will be able to surport it?i know you will probly be thinking it will deffinately but ive just got to show my mom that it will.any replies and advice will be great.(o and i didnt know were to post this thread so i thought id post it her just incase)thx.

I dont know about Uk gallons. A US gallon i think is about 8 lbs? So if its anything close Do the math.

1 UK gallon is 4.55 litres. 1 ltr = 1 kilogram. 55 UK gallons= 55x4.55= 250 kgs. Make that 3 fairly normal sized/slightly heavy blokes. If my maths are correct. But do bear in mind that I'm a Classicist.

thx for that, just told my mom and shes warming to the idea i think judgeing by her reaction but we will have to see if i get it.i was expecting it to be heavier but i surpose that would be with rocks and what not im going to have in there.

Well im just about to put a 60GAl (UK) in my loft conversion, I'm sure it will be fine. I'll let you know in a week or two if it falls through and lands on my sisters head :eek:

BTW this will tell you the weight of every thing

http://boonedocks.net/fishtank/ftweb.php

Mine weighs in at about 350Kg or two 25stone fatties

You should have any problems as the weight on a normal stand only comes out to about 1 lb per square inch. That's not a lot.

ok thats reasured me a bit now and my mom lol.hope your new tank goes well piper and would be great to see some piccys.

my 4ft came with a stand :D

whats that got to do with this thread :sad:

Pics of it falling through the floor, LOL

Thanks B.C, rember that you want to spread the weight of the tank over as many floor joists as possible,. So make sure your joists run the oposite way to your tank

Tank.jpg

dont rearly know yet just a nice plated community tank, nothing special but i dont want to rush into anything as i did with my other tank.

Thats intresting as well piper, if the joints do not run that way were my tank is going to be i will have to re think were to put it and that maybe a bit tricky as theres not a lot of space but i will see in the long run.

and put it at the edge of the room - preferably with a solid brick wall under it :)

as said - its all about spreading the load :)

Ive got laminate flooring on a concrete base (laminate made from MDF, not solid wood) and my 250Kg weighty tank and stand will leave some "dimples" on the laminate so ive put some spare laminate boards ontop to avoid actually damaging the "floor" itself. The laminate does hold, but will leave a mark after the tank+stand has been there a while.

Tanks are not likely to fall through the floor.

The floor will bow first and this will usually lead to the tank cracking and depositing its contents on the floor.

Most reactions

Back