Weeping Willow?

thanks for replying so fast everyone. So i had an idea that is, what if you found a pece of drift wood that at the top had little banches that looked like an empty tree, and so from there take fishing line and wrap it in all angles around the drift wood 'prongs' so the moss would have several places to attach to inbetween the drift wood 'prongs', and also creating a fuller canopy......? and any types of moss that might make this possible would help! ricca?
You could try different wood opposed to drift wood. E.g. If you go to a reptile store they usually have treated tree roots which could easily look like tree trunks in fish tanks. Or redwood branches from aquatic suppliers. Try www.aquaessentials.co.uk let me know how you get on and which moss you pick, as I am doing the same when I can get all the bits I'm looking for. You might like red crystal shrimp, type that into google images. Good luck.
i actually think i might make a specialized tree sculpture out of fired terra cotta clay thats in the shape of a tree but when you get to the top it would have special grooves and branches for the moss to cling onto....hooray for art class!
Ooh ooh make two I'll pay you for it! (not a fortune though please lol) but seriously make two I am interested! Don't make the branches too thin or long though as they will snap when you put them in the hot thingy ma jig.

thanks for replying so fast everyone. So i had an idea that is, what if you found a pece of drift wood that at the top had little banches that looked like an empty tree, and so from there take fishing line and wrap it in all angles around the drift wood 'prongs' so the moss would have several places to attach to inbetween the drift wood 'prongs', and also creating a fuller canopy......? and any types of moss that might make this possible would help! ricca?
You could try different wood opposed to drift wood. E.g. If you go to a reptile store they usually have treated tree roots which could easily look like tree trunks in fish tanks. Or redwood branches from aquatic suppliers. Try www.aquaessentials.co.uk let me know how you get on and which moss you pick, as I am doing the same when I can get all the bits I'm looking for. You might like red crystal shrimp, type that into google images. Good luck.
i actually think i might make a specialized tree sculpture out of fired terra cotta clay thats in the shape of a tree but when you get to the top it would have special grooves and branches for the moss to cling onto....hooray for art class!
Ooh ooh make two I'll pay you for it! (not a fortune though please lol) but seriously make two I am interested! Don't make the branches too thin or long though as they will snap when you put them in the hot thingy ma jig.

Me too!

hahaha well let me try it out first as an experiment and ill post a picture and you can see what it looks like. There are also types of animal safe non toxic glazes as well.... but yes i have noted that you are interested! if you wish, become my friend or something so ill be able to find you when i try this idea out!

By the way im pretty sure the moss covering that tree is either- A. Peacock moss /or/ B. Christmas moss

BTW, now is the perfect time of year for collecting your own wood. i have some beech soaking in a tub outside, which is ready for my new nano, and i might collect some more tonight for my other tanks.

cheers :good:

I have two mosses now, java moss and flame moss (I think) or could be xmas, really not sure. I've seen mopani wood, just haven't found a good tree shaped one with branches yet. Have been thinking of going to the woods to see what I can find, but it's not really a place I want to go on my own. Don't know why, just find it s but creepy alone lol! The java moss was purchased from pets at home for £4.99 attached to a bit of driftwood with string. Want to take string off but scared in case it's not fused to it properly yet. The flame/ xmas moss is just a weighted bundle, cost £2 from Maidenhead Aquatics. I have some slate I want to attach it to, then when my moss is longer and I decide which one to use for my tree I'm gonna harvest the excess for that. I have two tanks, so might make two. Might be getting 180litre juwel rio tank with stand for £50, but can't decide whether it's gonna go through the floor. It's a huge bargain and want it, but it's gonna be way heavy... :sad: I could do with renting a ground floor flat :sad:

i know that different floors can take different amounts of weight, but i have a 4ft 210l tank upstairs in my house and have done for 3-4 years with no problem. :good:

I have two mosses now, java moss and flame moss (I think) or could be xmas, really not sure. I've seen mopani wood, just haven't found a good tree shaped one with branches yet. Have been thinking of going to the woods to see what I can find, but it's not really a place I want to go on my own. Don't know why, just find it s but creepy alone lol! The java moss was purchased from pets at home for £4.99 attached to a bit of driftwood with string. Want to take string off but scared in case it's not fused to it properly yet. The flame/ xmas moss is just a weighted bundle, cost £2 from Maidenhead Aquatics. I have some slate I want to attach it to, then when my moss is longer and I decide which one to use for my tree I'm gonna harvest the excess for that. I have two tanks, so might make two. Might be getting 180litre juwel rio tank with stand for £50, but can't decide whether it's gonna go through the floor. It's a huge bargain and want it, but it's gonna be way heavy... :sad: I could do with renting a ground floor flat :sad:

The string should just disintegrate and dissapear in its own time if you have used cotton thread.

Can I ask what has been used to make that stunning weeping willow?

I understand the plant is some sort of moss, but what solid is used to resemble the tree trunk?

I'd like to have something like this in my aquarium as it will be a brilliant hiding place for the fish.

Can I ask what has been used to make that stunning weeping willow?

I understand the plant is some sort of moss, but what solid is used to resemble the tree trunk?

I'd like to have something like this in my aquarium as it will be a brilliant hiding place for the fish.

I love it also - it is possibly the best aquascape ever!

The tree is three pieces of driftwood tied together....if you're really interested (and for everyone else who loves it) check this out, an interview with the guy who did it with pictures of it's evolution etc.

Pinheiro Manso

Most reactions

Back