Weeping Willow?

alphadog1000

Reaction score
Hi guys - I have (as have most people) been inspired by Filipe Oliveira's awesome tree....

1_PinheiroManso_2008.jpg

and was thinking maybe I could make an attempt at creating my own tree! But I was thinking of a weeping willow tree so would like the moss to grow 'stringy' and downwards....Any suggesstions what moss might be appropriate?

Thanks

I though that but doesn't look like it will grown downwards or long enough! :rolleyes:

That's a tough one since most moss floats. Maybe if you took some sort of string and attached it to the "branches" and anchored it down into the substrate the moss would grow down the string. It might work I'm just throwing a suggestion out there but then again you'd have quite a bit of string in there.

is that 'tree' an actual plant? or just plants on top of a peice of drift wood?

its a piece of wood with moss growing on the top to form the tree canopy.

Weeping moss will grow downwards look at the thread on insta wall moss wall. Hence the name weeping moss lol.

is that 'tree' an actual plant? or just plants on top of a peice of drift wood?

Driftwood tied together to make the tree shape then moss....awesome

Weeping moss will grow downwards look at the thread on insta wall moss wall. Hence the name weeping moss lol.

Have to admit not exatly what I'm looking for but after googling all night I think it's closest I'm going to get!

Although I'm thinking about the string idea...sounds a good plan :)

bog wood and moss tree bonsai
well underwater one anyway
gives me an idea fro a planted
tank

I think that looks amazing and would really love to do something similar. Do any of you know any suppliers who I can (cheaply but not bad quality) purchase moss from, either java moss, Christmas moss, flame moss or willow moss? I have been searching on eBay and it's very expensive for the tiniest amount and usually has to travel around the world before I get it. So basically a cheap supplier that's uk based is what I'm after. Moss donations are welcomed too if anyone has any excess in their tanks hehe ;-) thanks guys, look forward to the replies :)

thanks for replying so fast everyone. So i had an idea that is, what if you found a pece of drift wood that at the top had little banches that looked like an empty tree, and so from there take fishing line and wrap it in all angles around the drift wood 'prongs' so the moss would have several places to attach to inbetween the drift wood 'prongs', and also creating a fuller canopy......? and any types of moss that might make this possible would help! ricca?

I wouldnt recommend riccia for this sort of thing. Xmas moss and willow moss IMO

thanks for replying so fast everyone. So i had an idea that is, what if you found a pece of drift wood that at the top had little banches that looked like an empty tree, and so from there take fishing line and wrap it in all angles around the drift wood 'prongs' so the moss would have several places to attach to inbetween the drift wood 'prongs', and also creating a fuller canopy......? and any types of moss that might make this possible would help! ricca?
You could try different wood opposed to drift wood. E.g. If you go to a reptile store they usually have treated tree roots which could easily look like tree trunks in fish tanks. Or redwood branches from aquatic suppliers. Try www.aquaessentials.co.uk let me know how you get on and which moss you pick, as I am doing the same when I can get all the bits I'm looking for. You might like red crystal shrimp, type that into google images. Good luck.

You could try different wood opposed to drift wood. E.g. If you go to a reptile store they usually have treated tree roots which could easily look like tree trunks in fish tanks. Or redwood branches from aquatic suppliers. Try www.aquaessentials.co.uk let me know how you get on and which moss you pick, as I am doing the same when I can get all the bits I'm looking for. You might like red crystal shrimp, type that into google images. Good luck.
i actually think i might make a specialized tree sculpture out of fired terra cotta clay thats in the shape of a tree but when you get to the top it would have special grooves and branches for the moss to cling onto....hooray for art class!

i actually think i might make a specialized tree sculpture out of fired terra cotta clay thats in the shape of a tree but when you get to the top it would have special grooves and branches for the moss to cling onto....hooray for art class!
Ooh ooh make two I'll pay you for it! (not a fortune though please lol) but seriously make two I am interested! Don't make the branches too thin or long though as they will snap when you put them in the hot thingy ma jig.

Ooh ooh make two I'll pay you for it! (not a fortune though please lol) but seriously make two I am interested! Don't make the branches too thin or long though as they will snap when you put them in the hot thingy ma jig.

Most reactions

Back