Weather! Temps Going Crazy!

Funkoid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've ended up turning off my two T8s to try and help get the temp down, It was hitting 27.8 when I got home from work this evening. I've lowered the heater temp to 26 (usually 26.5-27) and lifted the tank lid up to try and help things gradually cool. Is there anything else I can be doing though? My tank usually runs between 25-26 degrees during a normal day, it looks to have been going between 27-28 all day :(

I've ended up turning off my two T8s to try and help get the temp down, It was hitting 27.8 when I got home from work this evening. I've lowered the heater temp to 26 (usually 26.5-27) and lifted the tank lid up to try and help things gradually cool. Is there anything else I can be doing though? My tank usually runs between 25-26 degrees during a normal day, it looks to have been going between 27-28 all day :(

I had the same problem so I raised my hood and turned my ceiling fan (which is almost directly above) on constantly.

I've Also turned my heater down to 24 degrees while the lights are on and turn it back up of an evening when the lights are off.

However I'm actually considering lowering my hood again as I've found that since allowing fresh air into my tank I'm having to do plain RO top offs daily and I've got none left.

I think it's time I invested in an RO unit!

Last time the weather was out of control and my tanks were getting too hot I got a plastic bag (one your fish come in) fill it with ice and float it in the tank just like you would when you buy a new fish :lol:.

It does acutally work!

i cant really do much to get it down as im at school, and i dare risk leaving the lids open :lol:, but i left the lights off before i left so it took off a few degrees

but i might think of getting a bottle adding plain ro water and freeze it overnight and add to my tank.

im one of them that dont like it too hot nor too cold :lol:

my missus is less than happy at the moment lol

Last time the weather was out of control and my tanks were getting too hot I got a plastic bag (one your fish come in) fill it with ice and float it in the tank just like you would when you buy a new fish :lol:.

It does acutally work!

Good idea mate. But I'd imagine it wouldn't last long.

my missus is less than happy at the moment lol

Well if she wasn't being so lazy and would just get on with it, she would be more comfortable.

Don't tell her this, don't tell her it was me.

I'd tell her to be honest sorg! :lol:

I would tell her woody but I value my hearing, she (like most women) could quite easily ruin that sense for the rest of my life.

I would tell her woody but I value my hearing, she (like most women) could quite easily ruin that sense for the rest of my life.

TRUE!

Did your misses go through the snappy, emotional stage? Mine is and it's a nightmare at the mo. Still it will be worth it in a few months time when there's another little wood'lit crawling around! :lol:

Most women do, it starts when they are born and normally ends when they die.

*ducks and runs*

Large slap round head for Jaylam <slap> oh my boy you are in trouble!

And Woody, you mean there is another woodentop on the way :kana: you kept that quiet :kana:

Well, the Dark Lord knows the answer to get his little baby out into the light, but chooses not to take my advice of s*x and curry for the Mrs, what can I say!

Is there anything else I can be doing though?

In addition to the ice trick (which is hard to use when you're out of the house), small fans work wonders - even when blowing through plastic mesh tops for tanks that need to remain covered for carpet surfing reasons. Main things to watch with a fan is that it doesn't drive the temp TOO low on smaller tanks and the sg since it will cause more evaporation.

Come home this evening to see I've returned to a 24.5-25 which is a little lower than usual so i've got it running between 25-26 at the moment. Can't believe how quickly the room temp has cause the tank temp to rocket...... stupid I know!

Most reactions

Back