we just discovered my dogs true potential

I dont mean to be rude but your dog is clearly overweight and because of the type of dog she is she needs more exercise. Do you just walk her or do you stop off at large areas where she can run around and streach her legs properly? I used to have a lab cross who sadly passed away 2 years ago and i have a very small back garden but everyday 3 times a day i had her out and we would go to a large area of grass and i would throw a ball for her as far as i could for 30 mins and i never had any problems. Now i have a german shepard cross and he doesnt like being in himself and any chance he gets he jumps the back fence even though i build it up to a 6ft fence, often chasing cats. He also destroyed my back door and kitchen door and the only solution i found was when im out we put him in the back hall way with toys a dog bed and we hide treats under blankets to keep him amused and when we are home he is never out of sight so he doesnt get a chance to destroy anymore doors. I took us about 4 months of constant attention and following him but it has paid off now we have a bit of leather on the back door handle so he can pull the door open himself and go out our small back yard and he has full run of the house and he has calmed down alot. There is also the fact she is only two years old and still a puppy although a big puppy she still has to grow and learn and most dogs usually calm down alot more around the age of three i would ask your parents to wait till she turns three before making any decisions i could almost gurantee that she will seem like a different dog then Buddy my german shepard cross will be three in december and over the last few months we have noticed a big change in his behaviour and now he is a great dog. Although he was a handfull it was worth all the hard work and repairs!!

Yes, big dogs make you think they are older mentally than they really are. Small dogs are practically adults by the time they are one, big dogs don't reach that until at the very least two and a half, most of the time it's three and even four years old. I do have to agree that she is a bit chunky looking, and maybe you could start taking her for walks with another person, then have that person hold the leash when walking, and hopefully you can get her attached to this person so they too can take her for walks in case you can't. Was she properly socialized as a puppy, because she sounds a bit scary...

I think giving her more exercise is a great idea PK and I'm glad it's working out for you so far.

Keep us posted.

Not only is she a beautiful animal but from her health, strength and energy I am wondering if she wouldn't make a marvellous working dog, like one trained in search and rescue? At least that's another option if she had to be re-homed eh? I imagine a professional trainer like that could get on her good side. She sure is gorgeous and I wish you all the luck in the world in keeping her. :thumbs:

I too find that when I go for a walk with our pooch my mind ticks over on issues and problems and I get alot thought out and resolved, plus it's a nice tension releaser, walking with her and great quiet companionship. Good good luck on this whole issue.

There are some dogs I love but they're just too big for our house, even with a large yard. They need exercise I'm just not in shape to give them. Next for me will be a little yap meister with very short legs! :lol: (though I'd love to adopt a racing Greyhound, save it's life) Dogs are sooo cool.

Most reactions

Back