Waterproofing Wood

Ruffsta

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've just had a custom lid made for my new fish tank. It's made of wood and I need to waterproof it but I'm not sure of the best way to go about it. A few people have suggested yacht varnish but I'm not sure if it's toxic or not (I was told that if i used varnish I'd have to varnish alll sides but I don't want to change the colour of the wood on show if I can help it as it matches the rest of the furniture in the room).

The other idea I had was to maybe use some sort of material and line the inside of the tankl but i wouldn't know what to use.

Can anybody help? Any suggestions/ideas would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks!

I would think most modern finishing materials would not age and chip off as much as they did years ago, but you might also try your question in the Hardware and/or tropical discussion groups in order to cast a wider net for some of the members who know wood-working.

Don't understand your sentence about putting anything down in the tank (?)

~~waterdrop~~

Same as mine... I just painted the inside with a good brand gloss paint, the outside was also painted, but theres a MkII on the way which will be varnished on the inside, and bare wood on the outer.

(This hood was painted black - as I planned to paint the whole stand black... but we prefer the bare wood ! )

You will find a LOT of scaremongers on here - fact is, most (if not all) paints have to be child friendly, so they cannot be "dangerous" once cured.

So is the hood or lid made out of wood? If you don't have glass lids, used them and then put the hood over it (with no varnish needed).

Most reactions

Back