Water Test Kits

Clarousel

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Got them in the mail today and immediately when to check the water in my 14G tank.

Ammonia: between 0ppm and 0.25ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm

I remembered about testing the tap water too and got a shock because the ammonia was nearer to 0.25ppm. I don't know if it were my eyes though :S

I did a 50% change for the tank and the ammonia went down a bit. I'm really confused

It is possible to have a small amount of ammonia in your tap water - but if you're not sure about your ammonia reading, check it outside in pure daylight coz it can make a whopping difference and you might see that it's actually zero :)

It is possible to have a small amount of ammonia in your tap water - but if you're not sure about your ammonia reading, check it outside in pure daylight coz it can make a whopping difference and you might see that it's actually zero :)

It was day when I checked. It was clearly more lime-green than yellow :( I hope this doesn't cause too much problem for the tank...

My 5G tank has zero ammonia and nitrites and I've been doing daily water changes. Is it okay to skip today's water change and test tomorrow? I want to know if my filter has grown the benficial bacteria. Or is that too risky? Doing a fish-in cycle.

It was day when I checked. It was clearly more lime-green than yellow :( I hope this doesn't cause too much problem for the tank...

My 5G tank has zero ammonia and nitrites and I've been doing daily water changes. Is it okay to skip today's water change and test tomorrow? I want to know if my filter has grown the benficial bacteria. Or is that too risky? Doing a fish-in cycle.

I would think so, but test the water

Just wanted to clarify, I have plants in my 5G tank. Will that alter the ammonia levels or the nitrite/nitrate levels?

I just checked about chlorine and chloramine in my country's water supply. I didn't know they started using chloramine years ago so I guess that explained the presence of ammonia. Since the ammonia is around 0.25ppm before dechlorinating, do I need to get a new dechlorinator?

what one are you using?

most will deal with both chlorine and chloramine, if you use something like prime that will also turn the ammonia into ammonium which is less toxic to fish, yet still used by the filter bacteria

what one are you using?

most will deal with both chlorine and chloramine, if you use something like prime that will also turn the ammonia into ammonium which is less toxic to fish, yet still used by the filter bacteria

Using a local brand. There's not much in the description.

Yeah I read about the prime. Don't know if I can find that here though. Will take a look when I get a chance to go to the bigger LFS

Most will order it in if you ask them, alternatively you can order it online

Yup saw it on ebay last night.

I just tested my 5G tank and both zeros again. I'm not sure if it's false readings due to the java ferns though. Tank is 3 weeks old and I used 3 doses of interpet filter start from about a week ago.

Got them in the mail today and immediately when to check the water in my 14G tank.

Ammonia: between 0ppm and 0.25ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm

I remembered about testing the tap water too and got a shock because the ammonia was nearer to 0.25ppm. I don't know if it were my eyes though :S

I did a 50% change for the tank and the ammonia went down a bit. I'm really confused

Let the tap water sit overnight before testing it. That can affect your results.

My ammonia tends to stay just under .25 ppm. From what I've read it doesn't really begin to affect them until a bit over .25 ppm.

Yeah I'm gonna test it was dechlorinating and see if there's any difference.

Most reactions

Back