Water Softener

LILGUY

Reaction score
Is there any cartridge or resin bag that can be added to a power filter to soften hard tap water?

This is not considered to be "best practice." First of all let me welcome you to the beginner section. I hope the members will be able to help you out with a lot of things during your stay!

Of course a lot depends on your goals and experience, so my comments may be misdirected if you are not a beginner. Its important to start by using a good liquid test kit to determine your water hardness (not paper strips if that's what you are using.) Then post up your hardness numbers for the members to see.

In the fishkeeping hobby its pretty important to make every effort to build a tank around the parameters of your tap water. If at all possible, its great to consider a stocking plan that works with your water. This way a water change where hardness was not considered (someday) would not harm the fish.

If you do end up making the momentous decision to go the rest of the tank's days with artificially altered water, then the best practice is to set yourself up with RO water equipment in the house and then work with a mix of tap water and RO water to acheive a reasonable mineral content for your stocking plan. Using anything within the tank, especially chemicals is reported here on TFF to just not work well at all for very long.

Hope this helps a bit to get you started,
~~waterdrop~~

As WD says, it will make your life easier to find out your water perameters then choose your fish to suit them; you certainly won't be short of choice. If you start buying bottles of stuff to alter your water conditions, what happens if (for any reason) you run out of it, or the shop does?. Keep it simple and you should find that you won't need to be buying bottles of this or that. Unless, of course, you are planning on keeping fish that need VERY specific water conditions.

As WD says, it will make your life easier to find out your water perameters then choose your fish to suit them; you certainly won't be short of choice. If you start buying bottles of stuff to alter your water conditions, what happens if (for any reason) you run out of it, or the shop does?. Keep it simple and you should find that you won't need to be buying bottles of this or that. Unless, of course, you are planning on keeping fish that need VERY specific water conditions.

Thanks all, I found a filter insert that softens the water in the tank as if it had been run through a home softener first.

stick some bogwood in your tank. that'll drop the PH. or you can use peat in yourr filter. both will turn your water a yellow colour after a while

Thanks all, I found a filter insert that softens the water in the tank as if it had been run through a home softener first.

that will be a first then:crazy:. it may be what it says on the pack, i'll bet 12 months wages it does not do the job though. if it did, everyone would be using it. a safe, simple, working way of increasing or decreasing PH. without a whole load of hassle, and consistent adjustment. is, somewhat, of a Holy Grail.

Most reactions

Back