Water problem in Angels tank

Tyler777

Fishaholic
Reaction score
As many of you know I lost all my koi betta girls in that tank where my wife mix garden mix dirt wirh sand.
Anyhow, after all the deaths i empty the tank washed all plastic ornaments and letvem dry outside for a couple of days and I washed the tank from top to bottom with hot water n scrubbed the hell out of it.
After a week i fill it up n set it upagain adding some substrate from other tanks to rush the cycling. Once everything was fibe i added some corys n Angelfish that were inbthe tank bfore.
Then fish started dying again. I took the rest out of it putvem in the hispital tank n empty the tank n washed it entirely all over agsin.
After 2 weeks i restarted it.
Now nobody died but i noticed something weird.
Last week i noticed the ammonia detecyor color circke i have was showing something wasnt right so i added some water conditioner n the next morning everything was fine i tested the water with the Api test kit n water was fine.
But even so i did a 25% water change.
Tonite i notice something was wrong again so i added water conditioner n tomorrow i will make another water change again.
I dont overfeed the tank, i feed em every other day n the fish seem to be ok but it worries me that one week thare are problems i fix it n a week later things go sideways again. Any idea or advice ?

Ok, let me get this right.
The tank has been set up for two weeks?
When you say somethings wrong, what specifically do you mean?
You are testing your water with an api master test kit?
What are all your numbers please?
Dont add water conditioner because you think somethings wrong.
Use it with your water changes.
If you are adding something else, what is it specifically?

As soon as you sense something's off, you should immediately do a 50% water change. The scrubbbing and cleaning has probably reduced the cycle to close to zero, and is probably the start of the problems. The dirt had to come out, but once that was done and the glass was clear, you were good. That is, unless you used commercial cleansers and didn't get all the residue out. That stuff will kill fish. If I have to clean a tank I'll use vinegar or peroxide, and rinse very seriously after. Detergents are dangerous.

Gravel from other tanks will start the process, but it can take 3-4 weeks that way. I usually cycle with filters, never with substrate.

My guess is you rushed it, didn't do enough water changes and have an incomplete cycling going on. I don't use test kits anymore, but they are intended to be used on a regular basis as we learn how to run the tank - one test doesn't mean a lot. It's the pattern that emerges as you test between water changes. A fish in cycle in a recently sterile tank with an uncycled filter is going to kill some fish, and is going to demand regular (every day or two) large water changes.

Ok, let me get this right.
The tank has been set up for two weeks?
no its been cycled for 2 months at least.since the last time i washed it n clined it up.
When you say somethings wrong, what specifically do you mean?

I mean started getting some ammonia i did a water change n a week later the ammonia was back. I dont understand why the ammonia showed up this quick

You are testing your water with an api master test kit?

Yes

What are all your numbers please?
I i forgot the numbers now it wasnt a lot but it showed a concern. I will do a water change today

Dont add water conditioner because you think somethings wrong.

Something was wrong
Use it with your water changes.
If you are adding something else, what is it specifically?

I only tested fr ammonia i will test for everything today bfore the water change n will post it

Most reactions

Back