Water Ph

Filth86

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Ive Picked up a 60Litre Tank today and am in process of setting up. I have just tested the PH of my Tap Water. I also have some play sand I was hoping to use so I cleaned some in tap water and tested the PH. Photo of Results Below.

2014-07-08-15.43.02.jpg

Tube 1: Standard Tap Water PH 7.6
Tube 2: Tap Water from cleaning Sand PH 7.6

As results were over 7 Tube 3 was the High PH Test

Tube 3: High PH Test PH 7.4
Tube 4: Water from Water Filter PH 7.4

So my questions:

Is 7.4 too high?

Is the Kids play sand safe to use?

Any Benefits to using Water from Filter to Fill tank?

pH of 7.4 is pretty much ideal for most species of fish, shrimps and snails.

Have heard kids play sand is fine to use, although have not used it personally so am not absolutely 100% on that, but think its ok.

What stocking are you planning on doing for that tank?

Also having a test on water general hardness, gH, and carbonate hardness, kH can also provide more information that may help in determining your choice of stocking.

Yup, 7.4 is totally fine for lots of fish and play sand is also perfect. I have the play sand from Argos so can testify that it's absolutely fine. Especially suited to corys as they like to sift through it all the time.

Just as a test, leave some tap water out over night and test it again at about this time tomorrow and see what the pH results are...just wondering if you get a pH drop...

Well the sand is used for my bearded dragon vivarium as it is safe due to kids play sand being free from toxins which is why its ideal for kids. I was just concerned about it changing the quality of the water.

I have the api Freshwater Test Kit and dont believe there are tests for gh and kh in there.

not 100% set on stock yet. More than likely looking at a betta, snail and shrimp and maybe a couple tetra

fm1978 i will do that tonight as I have to wait for new Filter to arrive anyway. and it is the Argos play sand.

Thanks

Most welcome.

That sand will not change the water chemistry at all. It's silica based so no worries there.

Most reactions

Back