Water Flow

krismcewan

Reaction score
When i got my tank the previous owner had cut out the center of the hood for the filter. At the moment thats where I have it, shooting out straight from the middle creating 2 seperate flows to the left and right.

whats my best placement of the flow for the tank?

The way you have it is fine. for most fluent flow placing the filter on the left side of the tank in the northern hemisphere of the planet and right side in the southern is best. Not a problem though. I could sit here and explain my reasons for saying this but it would take a long time and it's not even that big of any effect.

All in all, the way you have it is fine.

The way you have it is fine. for most fluent flow placing the filter on the left side of the tank in the northern hemisphere of the planet and right side in the southern is best. Not a problem though. I could sit here and explain my reasons for saying this but it would take a long time and it's not even that big of any effect.

All in all, the way you have it is fine.

Soul, please do sit here an explain that, because it is utter nonsense. First off all, what do you mean by "most fluent"? fluent means ability to communicate quickly and is most commonly used when talking about someone's non-native tongue, it is also the name of a computational fluid dynamics software company, but it is not a term with any meaning as an adjective to fluid flows.

Oh, and the head it off at the pass, if you're going to invoke Coriolis forces, they have a negligible effect on something the size of a fishtank. Coriolis forces affect things the size of hurricanes, not the size of fishtanks. Whether the tank is level or one side is 3 mm lower than the other has a larger effect on the flow patterns in the tank than Coriolis forces.

So, please show me how the latitude someone's house affects the flow patterns in their tank.

To the OP, what you are looking for is good circulation. You can probably tell if you look closely at particles of dust or debris tracing the fluid flow in your tank. What you are looking for is no dead zones at all. You want the water in every corner of the tank to be refreshed as often as possible.

Most reactions

Back