Water Dechlorinator

PaulHR

Reaction score
When doing PWC and adding the correct dose of dechlorinator, what would happen if more than the required dose was added. It's not something I've done, I'm just curious as the two liquids that I have do not mention about over dosing so curious if it is safe or not?

I've always just guestimated aswell. I think after a few water changes, you know roughly how much to add.

On a side note, I've heard that the chlorine in the water will evaporate if you leave it standing over night. I think you need surface water agitation too. Does anyone use this method?

I have used it in the past, had an airstone and heater running in a tub, this can be good as well becuase you know the water is the right temp as well.

I've always just guestimated aswell. I think after a few water changes, you know roughly how much to add.

On a side note, I've heard that the chlorine in the water will evaporate if you leave it standing over night. I think you need surface water agitation too. Does anyone use this method?

That does work with chlorine, thats the way they use to do it before water conditioner became popular. However this method doesn't work with chloramine which a lot of peoples tap water has now.

I put a double dose of my dechlorinator when I do water changes as I find my fish flash if I don't... so, I think my tap water must not be great.

I do also guestimate. I have a squirt pump and I have measured how much comes out each time in a full squirt and I go by that, two squirts per 10 litres.

Something that always bugs me when water changing, I have internal filters so when I take water out it exposes part of the filter.
Now do I add the dechlorinator to the fresh water before I add it to the tank and if so I'm always afraid of adding too much, if I do it after I have added has it damaged the filter media?

If I do a large water change a good part of the filter is exposed so again by adding fresh water can it or does it damage the filter media?

I always just put a few drops in, not had any problems so far! :good:

De-chlorinator will not do anything to bacteria so adding it before you add tapwater is not a problem. However, if your tapwater has high levels of chlorine, adding de-chlorinator after the tapwater will expose the filter bacteria to the chlorine in the tapwater until you add the de-chlorinator.

Most reactions

Back