Water Colour And Test Kits

gangeox

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi again everyone!
Just got back from my hols and as i mentioned before i went, i started a fishless cycle and as advised i put twice as much ammonia in as required to last the week i've been away, i also put a used filter in to help along the cycle, so now i'm back and went to test for ammonia in the water and can see even before i add the drops from the kit that the water has a yellowy tinge to it :blink:
So now i am even more confused.
Would it be wise to do a massive water change then check for ammonia and if none are present add a few drops of ammonia then test to get a level then test again the next day?.
By reading these posts i can see i am not the only one with cycling issues and i am starting to feel that i should start again and be here to watch over the process.
Also the bogwood and glass has algea growing on it, i assume this is a good sign?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

i think u should try adding some danios or platies to raise the amonia levels

:crazy: No!!!! Don't add fish! If there is ammonia in there they will suffer, and if there is not then you are stuck back in the world of cycling with fish.

You can do a large water change to get clear water. Then add some ammonia (a modest amount) and see if it's gone if 24 hours. If so (and your nitrites are also zero) then you are OK. If it's only partially gone then you are partially cycled and can continue.

Best of luck.

Irf.

Thanks irf, thats what i think is best, would only a few drops of ammonia be ok ? its 180 litre tank, dont worry i'm NOT about to add fish.

Why not add whatever you were adding when you were in the fishless cycle routine? Were you using the add-and-wait method or the add-daily? At what stage were you when you went on holiday?

Irf.

What i didn't what to do is put too much in that couldn't be converted in say 12 or 24 hours, i put around 15ml or so in on the 28th dec.
So a good water change, test to check no or little ammonia add a few ml of ammonia then test again, then leave 12 hours then test, then leave a further 12 hours then test and if i get a drop back to 00 check for nitrites then do water and if their at 00 do a water change then away i go, i think, (please correct me if i'm not)

I was doing an add and wait method.

Thanks again

Personally I don't think you need to test again immediately after adding the ammonia.

And also I don't think you need to do two water changes after the ammonia is found to be zero. Just check for nitrites and if that is also zero then you are ready to add fish (or add ammonia regularly until you do so).

Irf.

:crazy: No!!!! Don't add fish! If there is ammonia in there they will suffer, and if there is not then you are stuck back in the world of cycling with fish.

You can do a large water change to get clear water. Then add some ammonia (a modest amount) and see if it's gone if 24 hours. If so (and your nitrites are also zero) then you are OK. If it's only partially gone then you are partially cycled and can continue.

Best of luck.

Irf.

I agree with IRF... you could try testing before though, i expect the results will still show if it turns green at all for presence of ammonia (or whatever colour your test does.. but to be honest, you still need to know if the tank can reduce the ammonia and nitrite levels to 0 in 24 hours anyway, so you need to do this.

The yellowy tinge is probably tanins from the bogwood, dont worry about that too much.. ;)

Squid

Thanks for all advice
Ok so heres the update:
Tank drained and refilled with clean water added the water conditioner and 10mls of ammonia. Everything but lights switched back on.
Will check levels 2000 hrs thursday.
I will now have clear water to check with, as the tinged water was not gving me a true match on my chart.
Don't need to be reminded not to add fish as i am doing a fishles cycle and not until i am happy with my results will i think about getting fish.

Most reactions

Back