Water Chemistry

Something isn't right. If you did a 50% water change, it should only have reduced the nitrate by half, not removed it completely. The test strips might be dodgy and not reading correctly.

Do you have shells, limestone or dead coral rubble in the tank?
I ask because the first test has 40KH and 180GH, while the second test has 0KH and 30GH.

It's possible your water company has changed the water source and you are now getting softer water (low or no GH and KH), or the test kit is giving funny readings.

----------------------
A liquid test (as mentioned above) should give more accurate results. You can also contact your water supply company by phone or website, and get the water quality from them. It should have GH, KH and pH, along with a number of other items they test for. If you call them, ask them what the test results are measured in (ppm, dGH, or something else).

Angelfish, most tetras, barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

You have fish that come from soft water and medium hard water.
First thank you so much for the very reply!!!
oh i thought that as well but after thinking about how i cleaned all the gravel and filters, that it could be possible but now im unsure, my new water testing kit comes in on the 27th. but ill be taking a water sample to a LFS
I have 2 unknown shells that i bought from California on a trip i took 6 months ago, as well as a shell from a former snail.
Colorado is known for harder water but when i first got my tank and cleaned it and dumped chems into it, i took a water sample to my LFS and they said my water is way softer then normal. so i dont know if its due to the chems or like you said my water company.
ill call them this afternoon to get that info and may liquid testing kit comes in on the 27th so ill test it then too.
so the fish i have in my tank thrive in different environments. so having them coexist in the same environment could be effecting some in a negative way depending on what side the scale leans towards. that makes a lot of sense.

First thank you so much for the very reply!!!
oh i thought that as well but after thinking about how i cleaned all the gravel and filters, that it could be possible but now im unsure, my new water testing kit comes in on the 27th. but ill be taking a water sample to a LFS
I have 2 unknown shells that i bought from California on a trip i took 6 months ago, as well as a shell from a former snail.
Colorado is known for harder water but when i first got my tank and cleaned it and dumped chems into it, i took a water sample to my LFS and they said my water is way softer then normal. so i dont know if its due to the chems or like you said my water company.
ill call them this afternoon to get that info and may liquid testing kit comes in on the 27th so ill test it then too.
so the fish i have in my tank thrive in different environments. so having them coexist in the same environment could be effecting some in a negative way depending on what side the scale leans towards. that makes a lot of sense.

You're getting the hang of it! While waiting on the test kit, just keep up with the large twice weekly water changes on both tanks (more for the oscars since one is now in recovery, and they're in such a small tank.
Some videos I found helpful when I was a beginner trying to wrap my mind around the nitrogen cycle and how it all works, and useful tank maintenance stuff! I link these often for people who are just getting into the hobby. Both great channels to learn from - I often have their videos playing while I'm doing water changes or tank maintenance :)

You're getting the hang of it! While waiting on the test kit, just keep up with the large twice weekly water changes on both tanks (more for the oscars since one is now in recovery, and they're in such a small tank.
Some videos I found helpful when I was a beginner trying to wrap my mind around the nitrogen cycle and how it all works, and useful tank maintenance stuff! I link these often for people who are just getting into the hobby. Both great channels to learn from - I often have their videos playing while I'm doing water changes or tank maintenance :)

@itiwhetu why the wow react? :lol:

Because you watch videos of people doing water changes, while you are doing water changes. That is something I have never considered as a thing to do.
haha! I may have phrased that poorly, lol! I don't watch those specific videos during water changes - those are just a couple of vids that I think beginners to the hobby will find helpful so I often link. But Aquarium Co op especially has livestreams where he goes into depth on different topics and answers questions from the chat, which can be really interesting and informative! So it's a good channel to listen to when you're pottering around and want background noise you can learn from.

I'm not watching vids where people water change, while water changing, lol! I'm weird, but that would be a bit beyond weird... ;) :lol:

haha! I may have phrased that poorly, lol! I don't watch those specific videos during water changes - those are just a couple of vids that I think beginners to the hobby will find helpful so I often link. But Aquarium Co op especially has livestreams where he goes into depth on different topics and answers questions from the chat, which can be really interesting and informative! So it's a good channel to listen to when you're pottering around and want background noise you can learn from.

I'm not watching vids where people water change, while water changing, lol! I'm weird, but that would be a bit beyond weird... ;) :lol:
@itiwhetu see, now I don't know whether you're agree reacting to that to say you agree that it's a good channel to listen or learn from, or agreeing that I'm weird... ;) :lol:

Thank you so much!!! one thing about researching on your own, on a new topic is finding the credible people. Fun fact i learned how to do water changes from watching 'aquarium co-ops' videos. now a pro recommended him as a credible source now hes my primary source. :)

I was definitely planning a water change today for my oscars tanking due to the accident, so im glad you agreed that its a smart move, almost reassuring.

And ill definitely be watching water change videos while doing a water change XD just so you dont be the only weirdo lol - all jokes

Most reactions

Back