Water Changes

StevieJack

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
A garden hose from the tap to the tank would be the easiest way... :p

But seriously if you detoxify the water of chlorine and such how do you guys do this, I currently use a 1 gallon jug but it is a time consuming task.

The chore was not so bad with my 10g, but now that my 30g has cycled its time for the first water change and I realized that this is really a time consuming job...

Is hard work the only way, if so I’ll get to it, -_-

Stevie

It's even harder for me lol, I have a 46 gallon on the second floor which I change 50% of weekly. Get used to it, mate. :p

I thnk I would be wanting a python with a 75gallon tank, but my little ones are not too bad for buckets, it keeps me in shape. :p

Ok, i did a search on the Pythons...

Sounds like thats what i may want in the near future, but for now its too costly, the buckets will do just fine. :flex:

Thanks for the suggestions,

Stevie

10 Gallon, two buckets, clean water with dechlorinator already added in one and empty tank water with syphon/gravel cleaner into the other.

Fortunatley this is about perfect as 1 bucket is about 20-25% of my little tank. Takes about 15 mins total now, most of which is gently pouring new water back in via filter as manufacturers instructions recommend.

I am just setting up another tank of about 13 Gallons which will be about the same and will get 1 bucket per change.

if I had a big tank or many tanks I would invest in a python though.

Arfie

Guys,

'Scuse me from butting in here but all this talk of "python's" got my curious. Had a bit of a google for them and they seem like great idea's! Although all this talk of cost put me off.

Im aware that most LFS owners rip us off on most things (heaters etc) So I had a look onthe web for prices.

Average price for a 25ft Python No-Spill kit including gravel tube etc appears to be in the region of £25 which, in a hobby where you can pay £40 for a light and £500 for a tank does not seem to be that much.

I even had a look on a world famous auction site (name ommitted to avoid flames that im connected with it) and watched one go less than 5 mins ago for £9.75 with a free cleaning mit, extended gravel tube and a tub of cleaning chemicals.

I think the moral here is (If you'll pardon the pun) Fish around for prices! :whistle:

I've just had a google and it seems like a great idea, just one question though...

They appear to be great for taking water out of the tank but what about refilling it?!

If you want to put water straight from the tap into the tank then great but what if you want to de-chlorinate it first?! Do you have to use the python to get the water from the tap to a bucket at your tank and the de-chlorinate it in the bucket or is there a way to de-chlorinate it from the tap straight into the tank?!

Cheers :D

Well, one advantage of bucket-system is that you can use the dirty water to water your plants. That way you save water, help the enviroment, and make some plants really happy. :)

Here is the hardest water change you're ever likely to hear of...

My tap water has EXTRAORDINARILY high nitrates so I jump into my car with 10 x 5 litre plastic bottles and drive 1 mile to Narayan's house (it's all HIS fault I got the fish in the first place!).

I fill the bottles in his bath and treat them there, then load them back in the car and drive home.

Then comes the easy part - I either use a siphon to hoover the gravel or I plungs an empty 5 litre bottle into the tank to fill. Doing it this way makes it really easy to calculate how much is going in or out.

Then in goes the fresh water. Sometimes I even go back to Naryan's and fill up the empties for next week's water change.

I only have one 3 1/2 ft tank and "the little hospital" at the moment but once my 4ft is cycled the fun will REALLY start! :eek:

Most reactions

Back