Water Changes

M4R13Y

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I can siphon the water out of the tank easy enough and vacuum easy enough.
It's just getting fresh water back into the tank that's a problem

Anyone got any Ideas

Explain what is making it so hard?

ie, is the tank to high that you cant lift a bucket of water high enough to pour fresh water back in? ect

ie, is the tank to high that you cant lift a bucket of water high enough to pour fresh water back in? ect

When I pour it, it usually spills and I want avoid this

I usually use a small cup and use it to put in the water (so it's less stressful for fish too) then 1/2 way through I just pour the rest of it in.

When I pour it, it usually spills and I want avoid this

How about using a big watering can? like the ones used to water plants in the garden? that way you should not spill any.
The lid of the bucket I use has a nice piece that makes pouring water out easy, so I never spill any water as long as I am not rushing.

Get some one to hold the bucket above the tank and use your syphon, I have open tread stairs so I do mine like that

You might want to invest into a python. They can be pricey, but makes the water changes easy and a bit cleaner. They work with your faucet by using suction and empty out into the sink. There are generic brands. I have a 50 foot "Ultimate Gravel Vac". It was only $35.00. I may be lucky because I live in the basement and have a utility sink a few feet away in the laundry room.

Could you give me the brand name for the python and the features please

Python systems are great but seem a little extreme for 10g tanks, just my opinion!
Have you tried getting your hands on some large bottles to refill with instead of buckets? My husband has to buy 5l bottles of distilled water for his forklift at work lol so i get them when he's used up all the water. I haven't used them ever since i got a bigger tank and started using a python but i'll be getting them back out for water changes on a 10g i'm starting soon.
good.gif

Are you in the UK? There aren't really any available to us in the market here. But you can make your own. There's a thread on here somewhere i'll try to find it.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/250013-how-to-make-a-diy-python/page__hl__diy+python
There ya go, this is the one i use

I use a colander; the type that has a long handle on one end and a metal ring on the other. I hang it over the rim of the tank when I pour. I have sand and lots of plants, so trying to pour buckets in directly can be a nightmare. The colander works perfect and hardly disturbs anything.

Just one like this
colanders-cookware.jpg

Most reactions

Back