Water Changes

robbo1078

Reaction score
If this is a rubbish idea, please let me know :lol:

maybe it would be interesting for people to write in detail how they go about there water changes, with details of tank size, % change, litres changed, fitlers cleaned and how they go about it? this might be able to help people wanting to upgrade to a bigger tank and wondering what difference it will make to there water changes and such... Plus if anybody can give advice on what people are doing it may make them better fishkeepers? :good:

So I'll begin

Tank:
60 Litres with two smallish filters (cheap ones unfortunately) that both say they are capable of controlling a tank upto 90 litres.
10 litres water cahnge per week
I do this procedure once a week (on a thursday)

Step one
Turn off the filters and heater, take the lid off, and siphon 10 litres in to a bucket

Step two
take the filters out of the tank and give them a good squeeze in the bucket, making sure the impellors and head get a good wash through

Step three
place the filters back in the tank, empty the bucket of tank water (into the dyke outside my house)

Step four
fill the bucket up with 10 litres of water, add an inner capful of tapsafe into this bucket.

Step five
attempt to slowly fill the tank back up with the water, turn on the heater, wait 5 minutes for it all to settle, and then turn on the filters again.

Step six
after an hour of everything running again, i always go back to the filters as im superconscious they are never running properly, and take a small cup of the tank water, and rinse through the filters again.

if a mod wants to move this, im not really sure which section it was meant to be in, sorryyy :X

Filters should be left alone for the best part. You don't want to get rid of too much of the bacteria in them. I would have thought rinsing them every week would not be beneficial to your water quality.

Most reactions

Back