Water Changes

aka0019

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm new to the hobby and have had my tank filled for about 2 weeks now. I would like to know how often I should be doing water changes? The tank is 55 litres and has 4 ruby barbs in it.

Many thanks
Andrew

im not sure how often you have to but i run a 10 gallon tank with a vt betta and 5 black mollys and i usually try to do water changes every week or week and a half.

When a tank is cycling with fish I would do daily 10% water changes :D

You'll find lots of people have different opinions on how often and how much water should be changed. While fishy cycling what you are trying to do is dilute the ammonia and nitrite in the water so the fish suffer the least amount of distress possible.

When in the early stages I'd do 10% water changes once a day. As time goes on you can take out a little more water and do them less often. Most people agree that with a mature tank it's good to do about a 20% water change once a week. Sometimes even less than 20% will be just fine. You will find that a heavily planted, mature tank, almost takes care of itself a lot of times. That happens more often the bigger the tank is however.

God Bless,
Joshua

Not a problem, keep us updated on your tank :). If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask, my inbox is always open :).

God Bless,
Joshua

A lot of good info so far, but i'd like to simplify it for you.

The more water changes you do, the healthier your tank will be, especially in the early stages. :good:

A lot of good info so far, but i'd like to simplify it for you.

The more water changes you do, the healthier your tank will be, especially in the early stages. :good:

I totally agree I have had my tank for about 6 weeks now and also cycled with fish and I did a 50n % water change after 3 weeks to lower my ammonia. It is perfect now ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 20 and I check this every other day for a week just to make sure it is fully cycled. Good luck with your hobby and I hope you find lots of useful info on the forum :good:

Most reactions

Back