Water Change Question

King

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i heard only use distilled water because its so pure and i am going through a ton of distilled water with water changes in my salts. i was wondering if it is actually necessary to use distilled or could i use half distilled and half tap with "prime" in it? i will continue with distilled if its necessary but if i can do a 50/50 or something it would be nice. what you think??

i heard only use distilled water because its so pure and i am going through a ton of distilled water with water changes in my salts. i was wondering if it is actually necessary to use distilled or could i use half distilled and half tap with "prime" in it? i will continue with distilled if its necessary but if i can do a 50/50 or something it would be nice. what you think??

Sorry no only use RO/Distilled water

If this is becomming an issue of cost, I'd seriously consider investing in an RO/DI unit. Investing in one allows you the freedom of doing the waterchanges you need and whenever you want. While the initial cost may seem high, it actually costs less in the long run.

llj

well i have a distiller that i borrowed from a buddy but it A) takes like 4hrs to do 1 gallon, it uses electricity, and it produces heat. im sure its an old one, they might be better now days? i just didnt know if it was exceptable to use anything else, and you have verified that its not. i might start looking online and see if there is any that are better designed and make more than 1gal. i am about to fill a 37 up and start it from scratch as a reef tank and have a 20L sump so i guess i will be making/buying about 60g lol. thanks alot! :good:

If you're looking to get a new distiller, I'd look at RO/DI units instead. they usually make around 50 gallons a day, use no electricity, and produce no heat.

ok reverse osmosis. so its basically just a series of filters that your tap water goes through and comes out a hose or something? how do you store the water u produce?

ok reverse osmosis. so its basically just a series of filters that your tap water goes through and comes out a hose or something? how do you store the water u produce?
That's it in a nutshell. You usually put into a bucket or something similar with a cover to store it.

i would like to do one of those set ups. anyone have any advice or info for any certain models/brands? i wouldnt really need anything big, just mainly want it for water changes in my 3 salts.

i would like to do one of those set ups. anyone have any advice or info for any certain models/brands? i wouldnt really need anything big, just mainly want it for water changes in my 3 salts.

Look at ro man site.

Most reactions

Back