Water change or not?

tttnjfttt

I have a point, just don't ask me what it is
Reaction score
my own little world, which is currently in Norther
My tank is finishing up the mini-cycle that it has been going through, and up till this point, I have been doing daily water changes for the past week. Right now, I just checked my water, and my nitrite is somewhere between .25 and 0, probably close to .125 based on the color. Ammonia is 0

Should I do a water change today or leave the water and do one tomorrow if the nitrites are still there but this low?

My fish are what is in my signature

Welcome to my latest horror. Sorry, but I don't have anything constructive to say, just that when this happened to me last week, after I changed a bunch of water and rinsed my filter under the tap my levels went up to .5. But when I let the tank sit for a few days with no water changes, my nitrites went down to 0.

You probably know more about this than me, but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents.

If you've been doing daily water changes up until this point, nothing resembles the water in your tank more closely than your tap water.

In other words, a water change certainly won't hurt. Glad to hear things are improving :)

Don't rinse your filter in tap water, it will kill all the beneficial bacteria (among others) you've been working so hard to accumilate. Rather rinse it in tank or treated water with no chlorine/chloramine. Spring water should work too. That probably explained the nitrite spike.

Most reactions

Back