Water change/amonia control questions

ral

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I was reading this post and am a bit confused.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=70419&st=0

Read some things on the web, but the tread got me wondering:

1. Does the use of substrate result in beneficial bacteria which eats ammonia?

2. Is it best not to put any substrate in the tank so it will be eaiser to clean up uneaten waste and solid food?

3. Unfiltered tanks. Are 100% daily wated changes best for my fish or are frequent partail (1/3rd) changes better? Please indicate strategy for different tank sizes. In other words are we trying to completely elimiate any amonia in the tanks or lower the amonia level?

1. Only if you have aeration in your tank - the bacteria need a steady supply of O2 to live.

2. It's certainly easier this way, however, if you are doing daily or every other daily H2O changes it shouldn't matter too much - especially %100 changes, which allow you to rinse the gravel and clean the surfaces of your tank. It's a personal ddecision.

3. Many say %100 every day in unfiltered tanks. Personally, I only do dailys for juvies, all the rest of my bettas in unfiltered homes get changes every other day (or every third, if I'm feeling REALLY lazy). They usually get 3 a week. Either way, lots of fresh water = healthy bettas.

cation said:
3. Many say %100 every day in unfiltered tanks. Personally, I only do dailys for juvies, all the rest of my bettas in unfiltered homes get changes every other day (or every third, if I'm feeling REALLY lazy). They usually get 3 a week. Either way, lots of fresh water = healthy bettas.
100% water changes every other day?

Yes. I believe that in an unfiltered tank, 100% water changes are important. I do them every other day for the most part - many do them every day, some much less. I used to do them 1x a week, but I had more sick fish then, too.

I guess I better not add any more betta's to my collection than. Changing 2x2.5 gallon and 1x1.25G tanks every other day will increase the maintance load.

Right now I am doing 2/3rds on the 1.25G's, 1/3rd on the 2.5G every other day and 100% weekly (basically partial changes on two tanks and a full change on one tank daily).

The 5G tank gets 1/3rd once a week and 100% one a week.

Thanks.

I'd throw a sponge filter in the 5g, and change 25-50% 2x a week (once it's cycled, and obviously keep an eye on your readings during that time). That'll decrease your work a little bit.

One thing I dont get though is that I assumed that larger tanks would require less water changes. For example if we were to assume that in a 1G bowl, the amonia would result in 100 parts per gallon, than it would only be 40 parts per gallon in a 2.5G tank.

Starting from clean, changing 1/3rd the water on the second day should reduce this to 27 parts per gallon.

On the third (no change) day cycle it would go up to 77 parts per gallon, and on the fourth day 127 parts per gallon. A 1/3rd watter change would reduce it to about 85 parts per gallon.

On the fifth day (no change) it would go up to 133 parts per gallon, and on the six day a full water change is made.

Using this computation I made sure to change 1/3rd of the water (actually 40%, I make sure to use 1 gallon, and add some more if I need to increase the water level from too much drain).

Yes, this is true. However, the only good ammonia level for your fish is 0. You want none, nil, no ammonia. The only way to accomplish this is through 100% water changes, or using a cycled tank.

Maybe I can alternate between 1/3rd and full water changes every other day (max 77 parts per gallon assuming 100 parts per gallon for a 1 gallon tank). That would result in a less amonia in the water than a 1 gallon tank with full changes every day?

What do you think?

This topic got me so spooked, I decided to filter my tanks. Will keep up th regular water changes, but reduce the amount of water changed to give the bacteria time to set in.

HAPPY NEW YEAR.

It looks like you are doing fine on the water changes. The best way..is to test your tanks each day..till you figure out when the first sign of ammonia starts to show. Then back off a day, and make sure you at least change it by then. It will vary somewhat between your readings and mine on the same size tank, because of what and how much we feed.
I place the small hydro in every tank 2.5 and bigger. I use 2 in my 10's. Then I act like there is no filter there. By doing it this way, I get the benefit of an established filter, but still change water often. I even made my own small filters to put in the 1 gal tanks. I change the gals 100%, and the 2.5's 50%. I agree with cation....no ammonia is the best. The cleaner the water, the less sick fish you will have.

Attachments

• P4230007__845_x_634_.jpg
    P4230007__845_x_634_.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 20
Thanks for the input. Even with the filters in place and properly cycled, I will still do water changes. Mainly as a means to clean the gravel.

Most reactions

Back