Watanabei Angelfish

it is a reef tank. so if i took out the carpenters wrasse and mandarin, would it be good?

That'd be really pushing the limits of stocking. While it could be done, I dont know if I'd reccomend it, especially to a beginning aquarist. You're going to run into longterm nitrate and phosphate problems with that much stock and struggle to maintain good enough water quality for corals with that many fish and no sump. Sure you CAN do it, but it'll probably be more trouble than its worth and very frustrating.

Do not under any circumstances stock that heavily quickly. It should take you at LEAST 3 months to build up to that stock level. While getting there, monitor your chemistry, especially nitrates and phosphates repeatedly to see if you're keeping up with nutrient export.

The 'x' inch per gallon "rule" doesn't work for anything. The best thing to use is common sense.

However, I have seen tanks that did not appear overstocked suddenly crash for no apparent reason...

yes right now, i get at most 2 corals (or fish) every week or two and bring a sample of my water for them to test. Ever since i first started this tank, my chemistry has been perfect and nothing has been going wrong in my tank. im not a beggining aquarist becasue i have had freshwater for 5 years but maybe you meant to SW. could i take down the bangaiis to 2 and leave it at that?

Most reactions

Back